Author Topic: Clubsport or R, your choice?  (Read 10647 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Clubsport or R, your choice?
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2021, 22:44 »
I'd go for the R just so I could have Lapiz Blue.

That probably makes me shallow   :tongue:
7.5 GTD

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2021, 23:36 »
IF, I was considering a Mk8, it would be between these two. I think I would be more inclined to an R, partly as having had two GTIs now I'd want something at least a bit different. They have also finally made the interior more interesting on the R which is important and the extra traction off the line sounds good. Of all the reviews I've seen online so far only the R has had my full attention. But, my TCR is just too good overall for this to be a likelihood, what I really want is to move to a house with a decent garage so I can get a classic, something with some real character and just the things you really need for driving, none of the total nonsense that you get on every car now that we think we can't survive without. And two (or three) twin choke Webers!

Neither comes with a manual box, so I wouldn’t have either.
I’m with you, Watts- I’d rather have this-

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1091995
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2021, 07:20 »
Neither. No manual option.  :sad:
If they both had a manual option then it would be the clubsport as i already have a 4WD car incoming to fill that role.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2021, 07:38 »
what I really want is to move to a house with a decent garage
  :smiley: I do like your priorities. I smile when people normally youtubers who have the latest greatest car or supercar don't even have a garage.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2021, 07:49 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2021, 09:02 »

I've had one of those :grin: A little newer though with the plastic bumpers. A 1985 Sprint Veloce with twin Dellortos. I would really, really, really highly recommend NOT going there! It was tough keeping up with the problems when it wasn't all that old, at the age they are now, it would just be a garage ornament. In reality, engine and even the rust was okay, the problem was everything else and I really mean everything. Absolute nightmare. Mind you, it was fantastic to drive but that wouldn't tempt me back.

what I really want is to move to a house with a decent garage
  :smiley: I do like your priorities. I smile when people normally youtubers who have the latest greatest car or supercar don't even have a garage.

:laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2021, 09:19 »

I've had one of those :grin: A little newer though with the plastic bumpers. A 1985 Sprint Veloce with twin Dellortos. I would really, really, really highly recommend NOT going there! It was tough keeping up with the problems when it wasn't all that old, at the age they are now, it would just be a garage ornament. In reality, engine and even the rust was okay, the problem was everything else and I really mean everything. Absolute nightmare. Mind you, it was fantastic to drive but that wouldn't tempt me back.

That’s interesting. I’m actually quite grateful for the advice. If this car was in the uk I’d be tempted to have a look. I’ve heard one started up on a YouTube video- a 1.5 I think- I tell you the engine sounded utterly beautiful. I’ll stick to old Peugeots I think.
Sorry to derail the thread.. back to this modern stuff 😉...
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2021, 09:36 »
That’s interesting. I’m actually quite grateful for the advice. If this car was in the uk I’d be tempted to have a look. I’ve heard one started up on a YouTube video- a 1.5 I think- I tell you the engine sounded utterly beautiful. I’ll stick to old Peugeots I think.
Sorry to derail the thread.. back to this modern stuff 😉...

The engine was fantastic even for a 1.3, zippy and responsive. But the inboard disc brakes were a pain and as the handbrake was also connected to the front calipers you had to manually adjust them using a feeler guage (regularly...). Seat foam would give up and springs would break. A spring went in the door lock so the drivers door would swing open on a tight bend. Front strut bearings would only last a couple of years, no adherence to the colours of the wiring diagrams so electrical issues would become more difficult to sort. Rear window winders would seize and the rear discs would corrode badly as most braking was at the front etc etc etc... :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2021, 10:23 »
As this thread has selected drift mode and has veered way off topic! :)

Watts, you mentioned you fancied something classic with perhaps, up to 3 x twin choke Webers.

That implies a 6 or 12 pot engine, what do you have in mind?

I have a single weber twin choke downdraft on a Burton fully modified Mexico lump, carbs have so much more character than fuel injection. :)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2021, 11:09 »
As this thread has selected drift mode and has veered way off topic! :)

Watts, you mentioned you fancied something classic with perhaps, up to 3 x twin choke Webers.

That implies a 6 or 12 pot engine, what do you have in mind?

I have a single weber twin choke downdraft on a Burton fully modified Mexico lump, carbs have so much more character than fuel injection. :)

Sorry for the drifting :whistle:

4 or 6 cylinder, I don't think my budget would ever stretch to the sort of 12 cylinder that would warrant that much carburation! No idea at the moment, the chances of moving anytime soon make it a moot point...

Now, what numbers shall I do in the lottery this week? :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2021, 11:41 »
I would go for an R if under the £40k tax bracket, but I actually think the CS looks better, I think R's are going to suffer second hand values because how many people will want to pay £450 per year on for just 320HP?

MK7 GTi