Author Topic: How to: replace your chrome handbrake button (updated with R32 handbrake info)  (Read 25534 times)

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
The chrome button on my cars handbrake was well worn with all the chrome flaking off and looked pretty naff, I decided I'd have a go at replacing it, after not finding much info on the net I opted to buy a complete handbrake off ebay and have a go at it, in the end it turned out very easy...

1) Buy a donor handbrake from a forum trader, breakers or ebay etc, the button is available new but comes complete with release rod/spring as shown here: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV_GLI--1.8T/Interior/Parking_Brake/ES257302/ so its up to you which you decide cheaper/easier.

2) Pull off leather handbrake handle, I did it by moving it to full height, place bracket part under feet and grab leather handle and pull hard.. it unclipped and pulled straight off no probs. (You can remove one fitted in car too.. you need to be pretty strong though)

3) Remove the chrome button by hand, now the leather handle part is off its easy to get button off, just pull from rear and it unclips and slides off. (If you opt to buy it new I am not sure the button will remove from the rod part the same, we can assume it would but as I didn't go down that route I can't confirm it to be the same as doing it my way with a used one)

4) Next remove the worn button on your cars handbrake... use a pair of pliars or similar, I use some electrical wire strippers I had to hand, trick is to pull it by gripping it not crushing it.

5) Now take the new button and push it on till it clicks into place. (make sure if you're parked on a slope that you place foot on brake pedal just in case car moves)

Hope that helps  :cool:
« Last Edit: 30 November 2012, 23:07 by Golf_GT_TDI »

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
Re: How to: replace your chrome handbrake button
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2012, 22:51 »
Just to update that if you buy the button new it comes with the pushrod assembely...

I can now confirm the button still unclips as per my guide above.

I bought the R32 brushed aluminium version of the button from VW and also fitted a new R32 leather handle with silver stitching (nice bargain on ebay) at the same time  :cool:

Part numbers...

Chome button - 1J0 711 323 D 2ZZ - apx £4.00 inc VAT
Brushed aluminium button - 1J0 711 323 D 4J4 - £6.00 inc VAT from TPS

R32 leather handle with silver stitching - 1J0 711 461 A QGW - apx £78.00 inc VAT

« Last Edit: 30 November 2012, 22:57 by Golf_GT_TDI »

Offline negrufabian

• Just got here
Hello,

I just bought the ALU button for the handbrake and i received it with complete rod.
I understood that you only changed the button, not the whole assemble, thing i want to do also.
But in order to take out the ALU button i have the below thing to solve:

there is a hold/stop as you may see in red circle, i can't take out the button without breaking it. what have you did about this?

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
Hi, that part fits into a groove in the black plastic part, the button is held on two ridges inside that clip over the black plastic, so if you pull hard and wiggle it  :laugh: then it will come off, useless description I know so here is some pics to show you what I mean...

Offline negrufabian

• Just got here
I'll try harder once i get home, now my fingers are hurting from a short pulling session.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
It may help to put the edge of the chrome part on desk/worktop and pull down on the black rod, that should release the clips, if its proving stubborn because by gripping the button you also squash it somewhat which makes the clips even harder to release if that makes sense.

Offline negrufabian

• Just got here
I did it :) Thanks for the help!

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
No probs glad it helped  :cool:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
None in stock in the UK of the R32 version at any of the stealers at the mo...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175