Author Topic: How to replace the front side headlight bulb (side light) golf mrk 4  (Read 31513 times)

Offline Niro

• Not said much yet
 :laugh: Ok I've used the scearch and looked in the maintenance info :laugh: I can not see any instructions on how to replace the simple small bulb that is the front side light.

Appologies if there is such info...I couldn't find it :angry:

So... how the heck do I simply replace a blown front side bulb, the hand book simply says take it to your dealer.
Do you have to remove the whole lamp unit :angry:

Well I know I'm female but I'll feel a bit of a T*t walking in and asking them to replace a bloodly bulb, if you know what I mean :huh: Its not rocket science after all is it, ask me to replace a crank shaft or to rebuld an engine thats different.

I have the bulb, but not a clue....

TVM
Dumb Blonde :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers
NIRO
----------------------------
98 Golf mrk IV GTi 1.8 20V
94 Rover Mini 1275

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
sadly the easiest way is to remove the front bumper and then the whole unit  :sad:

the bulb itself twists / pulls straight out but its getting your hand in behind the headlamp that is the difficult part  :sad:

Offline ipswich1.8t

• GTI forum regular
Mine came out quite easy , but only because they weren't even in properly . But unless you have hands the size of a five year old , or you dont value your knuckle's , take the light out ....sorry

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
once you know how to do it, you can have the bumper off and headlight out within 10 minutes... or you can struggle for 20 minutes scratching your hands up trying to get the bulb in with the headlight in-situ.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM

http://web.archive.org/web/20060104081720/http://home.nycap.rr.com/brandonc/headlight/

Look at the salt all over that car, and I thought our gritters were liberal with the stuff!

Yikes  :shocked: 

Build thread clicky

Offline MickeyC

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GTI 1.8T
if its the passenger side, remove the battery for more room if u dont wanna take the bumper off

if its the drivers side then u got no chance unless you have a hand like jeremy beadle

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
I'm waiting for a bulb to go on the front end.  It'll be an excuse to remove the bumper etc and fit some fancy headlight bulbs and the trick sidelights TJG gave me!

Build thread clicky

Offline Niro

• Not said much yet
Excellent response guys Thanks for this.

I didn't really want to have to remove all my front end :angry: but looks like I have no choice.

I'll give it a go this weekend :wink: wish me luck :undecided:

Cheers
NIRO
----------------------------
98 Golf mrk IV GTi 1.8 20V
94 Rover Mini 1275

Offline asif

• I live here
Some brilliant info, I also did a search but felt like a bit of a knoob asking for this info.

Cheers Niro you did me a favour :)
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi