Author Topic: How to replace the front side headlight bulb (side light) golf mrk 4  (Read 31515 times)

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
sh!t, my drivers side main beam light has gone and I rang Reg Vardy my local VW dealership to see what they would say.
Well the guy said you pay for the bulb and we'll fit it for free, so i thought ok that sounds good cuz didn't fancy taking the bumper off, so he came back and said that the bulb is £10.50 I laughed and put the phone down :)

Thats doesn't sound too bad a price ..although haven't ever bought standard bulbs..i have 2 sets of bulbs in my office drawer..standard bulbs (the ones the car came with)...phillips X-treme power and a set of blue xenon in the car soon to be replaced with my new lights.

Offline asif

• I live here
I'm sure headlights bulbs are about £1 each right? Or there abouts.
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline richdubya

• Not said much yet
To replace the side light bulbs.
If you follow the link richw911 posted on page 1 it will be easy, and all the parts go back on easy and line up/profile fine.
The side light bulb itself can be pulled out but you need to squeeze the tangs either side of the bulb holder at the same time, I used long nose pliers, I suppose you could use some tweezers if you attempt it without removing the bumper.
It may take you longer than 10 mins the first time, but it really is not too difficult or time consuming to remove the front bumper.
To replace the indicator bulbs I do not remove the bumper, but it is advised to wear gloves as your hands will suffer, it is quite a fiddley job.
If you have large hands, remove the bumper. 

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
To replace the side light bulbs.
If you follow the link richw911 posted on page 1 it will be easy, and all the parts go back on easy and line up/profile fine.
The side light bulb itself can be pulled out but you need to squeeze the tangs either side of the bulb holder at the same time, I used long nose pliers, I suppose you could use some tweezers if you attempt it without removing the bumper.
It may take you longer than 10 mins the first time, but it really is not too difficult or time consuming to remove the front bumper.
To replace the indicator bulbs I do not remove the bumper, but it is advised to wear gloves as your hands will suffer, it is quite a fiddley job.
If you have large hands, remove the bumper. 

Agreed  :wink:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.