Author Topic: Badge deletion  (Read 6349 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Badge deletion
« on: 01 May 2013, 21:42 »
Has anyone gone for the external badge deletion? I've just seen a mk6 62 plate gti in white tonight with only gti badge on the back. Two options in the golf pricelist, 1 is model and engine, 2 engine only. would the model and engine deletion get rid of golf & 2.0tdi and leave gtd on the back and would it also leave the gtd on the side. I like the clean lines and its much easier to clean without badges on.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
Re: Badge deletion
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2013, 21:50 »
Neither the GTI or GTD have "Golf" on them anyway, and the GTD just has that - it doesn't say 2.0 TDI as well.  So, I'm not sure what the badge deletion would do in this case. Personally I like them, and the broken symmetry they introduce!  Cleaning around badges is easy anyway with an old toothbrush :smiley:

Taking a guess, I would expect both front and rear badges to be deleted, leaving just the side ones as they are far more decorative.  Best call and ask.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 21:52 by Gryzor »
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline rick2b

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2013, 21:54 »
I originally opted for badge deletion when I ordered my gtd. I understood this applied to the rear boot badge only.

However, I was later told 'by my dealer', that this option was not available on the gti/gtd spec cars.

« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 21:58 by rick2b »
Mk7 Golf GTD Oryx White 19''rims 3dr keyless

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2013, 22:00 »
I suppose the GTI/D models are sufficiently different from the rest of the range that they don't really benefit from badge deletion in the same way.  Depends what you want the badge deleting for I guess, but ease of cleaning isn't one I'd delete the for!  They are only stuck/clipped on I think so can be carefully removed.

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2013, 23:12 »
Neither the GTI or GTD have "Golf" on them anyway, and the GTD just has that - it doesn't say 2.0 TDI as well.  So, I'm not sure what the badge deletion would do in this case. Personally I like them, and the broken symmetry they introduce!  Cleaning around badges is easy anyway with an old toothbrush :)

Taking a guess, I would expect both front and rear badges to be deleted, leaving just the side ones as they are far more decorative.  Best call and ask.
Toothbrushes are for brushing teeth not cleaning cars! >:( get yourself a couple of proper detailing brushes like these:
http://www.envyvaleting.co.uk/products_info.asp?id=151

Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2013, 07:07 »
Haha, cheers Jimble!  I've never had any issues with tushy brushes, but those look more up to the job ;)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2013, 07:50 »
Not keen on the side badges, I do like the clean GTD or GTI badge on th e back and no other clutter.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2013, 12:08 »
Really down to personal taste this one.

I too love the cleanness of the GTD/GTI ident on the back and front (love the retro slab-serif typeface too).

The new slug on the side works well with the new, sharp, crease which runs from the front wing and sweeps backwards. Kinda looks like the head of an arrow. Still it's pretty subtle.

VW start adding any more and it will start looking like a chav-wagon :grin:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2013, 12:21 »
I agree.  No need to have badge deletion - people who do that only do it to hide the fact they're driving a sh!t version of that particular model!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2013, 12:35 »
I thought drivers of high spec cars often did it to hide what engine they have from the police public.

I think its a bit silly for the GTI because it is very recognisable anyway, but there are plenty of other quite ordinary looking vehicles where you can spec a powerful motor and no one would know the difference if you remove the badge.  Presumably that includes some VWs right?