Author Topic: Golf ball design for DSG stick shifter  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
Re: Golf ball design for DSG stick shifter
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2013, 11:22 »
yup, always keep my hand on the knob for complete control and driving pleasure  :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

Yup!  I can remember taking out a DSG equipped GTI when I was choosing my current Mk5, and for me it took a lot of the fun out of the driving experience.  It's great in stop-start, especially with ACC now, but in a car like this, I'd much rather have manual.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2013, 11:28 »
Me too.  I've found that, IMO, you only really need an auto if you do town driving/traffic jams all the time or if you are driving anything sub 5 seconds 0-60 then the paddles are safer to use as you have two hands on the wheel at high speeds.  Saying that, I still prefer a manual regardless of the car as just feel more in control of the car.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2013, 11:47 »
Not another Manual/DSG debate. :shocked:

:wink:
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2013, 11:48 »
Me too.  I've found that, IMO, you only really need an auto if you do town driving/traffic jams all the time or if you are driving anything sub 5 seconds 0-60 then the paddles are safer to use as you have two hands on the wheel at high speeds.  Saying that, I still prefer a manual regardless of the car as just feel more in control of the car.
I commute on the dreaded A14.  DSG and ACC are going to be probably the most useful features on this vehicle for me in terms of how much they get used and the benefit!

With a DSG you can use the stick in tiptronic mode which makes it like a manual, so is it more the actions of using your feet on the clutch you miss?  Or do you like to wiggle the knob around rather than just flick it up and down?

EDIT:
Just reread that last sentence :embarrassed: my bad.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2013, 11:49 »

No debate, just a comment!  Each to their own, and every person has different needs & driving styles.  The DSG is a brilliant gearbox, but IMO opinion is overkill on a car that only goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds  :lipsrsealed:
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2013, 11:51 »

Nope, just a couple of us bantering over how we prefer our driving experience, enhanced/degraded by our relative preference of the golf ball knob! I don't recall saying DSG was better/worse than manual.  Both are fantastic.

OK, I just noticed we both posted the same, but will let it fly just to prove the point!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2013, 11:54 »
^^^  :grin: :grin:
Audi RS5 2018

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2013, 12:06 »
I was agreeing with you.
Image was a bit small, this one is better.

Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2013, 12:11 »
I'm a big fan of the golf ball design and must admit i wish the DSG box came with the ED30 style knob, it just harks back to the mk1 a little bit more than a generic knob thats in all the lower trim cars! :angry:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2013, 12:13 »
I'm not a fan of the manual golfball stick, the actual ball bit does does look a bit cheap. Unless I am surprised by how ergonomic it feels, i'll be sticking the stick in from my Roc (I have the "R" stick in, the standard Roc stick is not very ergonomic). The R stick gaiter has silver/grey stitching which should be a match for the GTD.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.