Author Topic: Sign Assist on GTI?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Sign Assist on GTI?
« on: 24 April 2013, 16:55 »
Was browsing the VW Tech Glossary and came across this feature I hadn't heard of before:

A camera in the mirror base records important traffic signs, such as speed limits and no overtaking signs and then informs the driver – so you don’t miss them.

The traffic signs are displayed on both the multifunction display and on the navigation system unit display. It also displays additional useful information. For example, the rain sensors detect when it’s starting to rain and monitors any speed restrictions in wet conditions.

Does anyone know if this is fitted to the GTI?  A google search didn't reveal anything and I don't have a GTI brochure.  It sounds like just the sort of futuristic gizmo I love, and could be really useful for those times you're on a road and see the speed camera sign and then can't actually remember what that speed limit that you just passed through was!

Not that I don't pay attention while driving... I've said to much.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Sign Assist on GTI?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2013, 17:00 »
It's part of the lane assist package which isn't a GTI/D option, although i think if you have the pro nav it does it to a degree like any normal sat nav. ???
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2013, 17:15 »
It is part of the options package as I've specified it (£520) on the GTD ? Comes with high beam assist, and when the dealer configured it on screen, it allowed him to add it (even though it's shown as not available on the VW price list).

in fact when I ordered it, it gave 2 choices - standard Lane Assist and Lane Assist with Discover Pro UK (which I assume s for the Camera database) and allows the signs to be displayed on the DIS ?
« Last Edit: 24 April 2013, 17:19 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2013, 17:30 »
So, possibly another error in the published spec?

£520 is a bit much for what to me is a fun gadget though :sad:. I looked up lane assist and highbeam, and while the safety benefit is a sound theory I just don't think I want my car trying to 'nudge' me to do things.  I have a feeling I would turn it off after a few minutes and never turn it on again.

Shame it can't do the sign recognition without having to have the full lane assist thing.  Ah well.  Thanks for the info guys.

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2013, 19:58 »

From what I read traffic sign recognition comes with both the Discover and Discover Pro aswell......

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2013, 20:09 »

From what I read traffic sign recognition comes with both the Discover and Discover Pro aswell......
Do you have a clear description of the difference?  I can't find one.

From what I can tell the Nav units have a database of road signs that they display based on your GPS location.  I had a similar thing on a Navigon unit I used a few years back, its far from accurate probably because authorities randomly change or extend limits sometimes every few months.  And it can't handle variable limits.

It seems that if you get the lane assist package (which apparently you can even though the documentation says its unavailable on GTD/GTI) then you get a camera on the back of the mirror which detects lanes AND detects signs.

I wonder does the Nav unit integrate with the MFD so signs and other Nav info appears in front of you, or do they only appear somewhere on the Nav display?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 20:22 »
Up to 3 Road signs are displayed in the MFD in the instrument panel, and overrides the ones in the Navigation database. The ones stored in the Nav unit are only used if the camera can't detect a sign and those are displayed instead.

One of the a self Study manuals I downloaded from Erwin clearly details the process with pictures. I'll upload some tomorrow when I'm back at work.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras