Author Topic: Keyless entry & Diesel engines  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Re: Keyless entry & Diesel engines
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2013, 15:40 »
It's on the drivers side, i'm curious about the way the ignition is turned on when you touch the handle, will the dial staging be done before you get in the car? :cry:

My guess is the needle sweep will still happen once you press the starter button and the engine fires into life. The pre-heating of the glow plugs (after you've approached the vehicle with keyless) won't be an issue for you GTI boys :wink:
« Last Edit: 26 April 2013, 17:08 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2013, 15:51 »
Had an interesting reply from my VW dealer on this question. This is what they said:

"With keyless entry [on diesel engined cars] once you approach the vehicle the glow plugs are already pre-heating in anticipation of you pressing the starter button. So, by the time you've sat down and buckled up, the glow plugs have pre-heated so when you press the starter button the engine will start straight away (just like a petrol engine)."

If the above is true I think that's pretty cool engineering and I'm relieved I made the right choice  :smiley:

That's quite old tech these days. My old 2004 V6 TDI Passat would prime the glow plugs when the drivers door was opened. I'm not sure if it was the case with earlier V6 diesels as the basis for my BDG engine harks back to 1996.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2013, 00:06 »
On a similar vein, the RNS510 used to power up (not the display though) as soon as the car was unlocked so I guess its nothing new.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14