Author Topic: Water Leak solved???  (Read 32385 times)

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
Water Leak solved???
« on: 10 July 2012, 16:56 »
Hello!

Have been cursed with a water leak on drivers footwell and the passenger footwell directly behind. I have cleaned out the sun roof drains and the leak continued.

As of this weekend i looked under the plastic 'box/grill' at the back and top of the engine just bellow the windscreen. It was very damp and clogged up in there, so have got the worst of the gunge and leaves out, then used some pipes to poor water through.

The water seeped out of the wheel arch, (black water). I have now taken out the plastic wheel arch cover to find 3 full handfulls of gunge.

Since clearing this out we have had some torrential rain, and only the rear passenger footwell remains wet, and the drivers footwell only damp (it was soaking when i first discovered, suggesting heavy rain causes heavy water in the footwell).

Has anyone had anything similar and did this solve your water problem?

Unfortunately the english weather isn't giving me a chance to dry out and re-test when it rains again.

Any advice would be great! Thanks  :smiley:

Offline conor1

• Not said much yet
Re: Water Leak solved???
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2012, 17:45 »
went out to my car this morning to discover the drivers foot well ringing wet so im going to give this ago as you have done i dont think its the sunroof as the headliner is bone dry il report back when i know more.

Offline conor1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2012, 17:56 »
also behind drivers seat in the back is ringing wet ive noticed there is damp in the drivers rear brake lense could this be connected and the water making its way in from there?

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2012, 09:24 »
i had to drop the missus off early at work today and decided to look for the notorious "nipples" everyone keep banging on about, found one at the front drivers door, just above the door hinge should be a black (for lack of a better word) "nipple" give it a good squeeze and pull, but not to hard  :wink: after a bit of wiggling you should begin to dislodge the gunk thats collected there, i almost screemed like a girl when some landed on my brand new converse!

squeeze, rub and pull until you get liquid come through instead of goose poop. now because i was an hour early for work i decided to get the tool kit out in the car park and took the rear bumper off, theres a drainaige on the right handside i believe that looks in need of some plastic sealant and a few nipples to squeeze, will post some pics this weekend if i get a chance due to the fact that when i removed it there was a reservoir looking at me and didnt fancy getting my hands wet  :undecided:

havent removed the filter or front wheel liners but i suppose it would be the same story, let me know if this helps  :nerd:

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2012, 09:25 »
i had to drop the missus off early at work today and decided to look for the notorious "nipples" everyone keep banging on about, found one at the front drivers door, just above the door hinge should be a black (for lack of a better word) "nipple" give it a good squeeze and pull, but not to hard  :wink: after a bit of wiggling you should begin to dislodge the gunk thats collected there, i almost screemed like a girl when some landed on my brand new converse!

squeeze, rub and pull until you get liquid come through instead of goose poop. now because i was an hour early for work i decided to get the tool kit out in the car park and took the rear bumper off, theres a drainaige on the right handside i believe that looks in need of some plastic sealant and a few nipples to squeeze, will post some pics this weekend if i get a chance due to the fact that when i removed it there was a reservoir looking at me and didnt fancy getting my hands wet  :undecided:

havent removed the filter or front wheel liners but i suppose it would be the same story, let me know if this helps  :nerd:

if you have a sunroof theres another drain somewhere but wont know until Satrday

Mk4 Golf 1.8t AUM, Wintersports Addition. PiperX panel filter, 008p Forge DV, Toyosports DP 3", Miltek Anni Style CatBack non resonated, APR Sport CAT 200Cell, Catch Can RS4 Reps 18s, OEM R32 front and OEM

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2012, 10:58 »
Ah yes, i did have a fiddle with the drivers door nipple, the mud that came out was dry and dusty, and then i fed water through and i was fine so it cant be that.

My mate is a VAG group mechanic, and said apart from locating all the drains and looking at those that are most accessible, i may have to take the door cars off and check the membrane/seal to see whether it is still in tact...

Mine was definitely most wet in the drivers footwell, then it seemed to seep through to the back, and after lifting up the carpet as much as possible i could see small water pools in the grooves of the flooring. (very wet)

Cool, let me know about the rear bumper... and fingers crossed for some dry weather.

Offline cullygti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2012, 11:19 »
also check the gromet that the bomnnet release wire goes through just under the scuttle panel and your pollen filter case could be cracked to so check that on the passenger side just under scuttle panel aswell  :smiley:

i drive a golf thats why im skint!!!!

losing interest in the golf and now not so skint !!!!!

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2012, 11:21 »
i'll take piks, if your getting dust after all the rain then your drainage pipe must of split somewhere along the line, looks like i beleive the headliner and pillars may have to come off if its starting at the front, is yours a 5dr? look at the sill there should be a straight through drainage pipe there? only reason i say this is because i have one and win it rains theres always water coming out of it

Offline andrew.0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2012, 12:04 »
Cheers guys.

Be aware also, my water leak seems to have screwed with the electrics, and the alarm will occasionally go off when locked, seems to be very random though!

Offline GTi_James

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2012, 10:20 »
update, after the torential down poor of last night i am now the proud owner of my very own swimming pool in drivers side rear passenger footwell, creeping to drivers footwell  :angry:

question about the nippled...can i cut them before the crimp that the factory put in? or are they there for a reason, my reasoning being that there would be more space for water and gunk to flow?

have noticed my front passenger nipple is dryer than a nuns knickers  :lipsrsealed: any ideas?