Author Topic: Which compact camera?  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
Which compact camera?
« on: 30 December 2014, 18:45 »
I'm selling my DSLR as I simply don't have the time anymore to use it properly plus it's too bulky for normal day to day use.  I'm looking at getting a compact camera and spending in the region of £350.

I've been looking at the fujifilm x20 and x30. Heard good reviews about the canon power shot and lumix also. Can't make my my mind up.

What do you guys think?
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: Which compact camera?
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2014, 19:11 »
I have an old x10 I'm still using, and although I still don't know half the functions, for basic point and shoot its incredible. Fuji are always a good bet in this class imo, and consistently top the polls against rival and often much more expensive cameras.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2014, 18:25 »
Cheers mate. I'm leaning towards the X20 at the mo. Will have a play in the new year at a few camera shops.

Offline Justinitus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2015, 08:58 »
WEX Photographic have the X20 at £299 with free delivery at the moment. Have your looked at the Pansonic LX7? We have an old LX5 as a travel camera and it's been terrific - with it's improvements the LX7 can only be better!

Jus
Current: 2017 Golf R Estate DSG, Pure White.
Previous: 2014 Golf GTD DSG, Tornado Red.

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2015, 06:03 »
Another vote for the X20 from me.

It takes pictures with better sharpness and much better colour than my old D80 (not hard given the age of that chip). I really like the manual zoom and the viewfinder. Although the viewfinder is very basic I find composition easier with it than using the rear screen.

This is the first compact I have owned that I have no worries putting the results up on my web site. Some examples from my X20 are here:
http://jim-curtis.net/Devon%20Sep%202014.htm

I have replaced the funny lens cap with a UV filter and bought a polarising filter for it.

And it looks like a proper camera too.

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2015, 11:39 »
Nice photos Bandit.  I've seen the X30 for £339 on digitalrev.  I'm going to take the plunge

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2015, 14:20 »
I would go for a Fuji X20 (it seems to have better noise handling than the X10).
I wouldn't buy from Digital Rev though, their orders (coming from Hong Kong) have a habit of getting stuck in customs, just ask Horney.