Author Topic: Will this cable work?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
Will this cable work?
« on: 05 April 2008, 14:40 »
I have a snooper that normally plugs into the cigi lighter, but i am now going to wire it to the ignition live of my head unit.

Ive been hunting around for cable to use to power it, and i have a load of audio cable, the red and white cable lead that i use for my speakers etc in my room. Would this work to power it? Ive stripped it off and twisted the twin cores together, and as its paired i would have a positive and negative. Would this work ok.

I would then cut the cigi lighter cable and fix that to the cable i have, as i need to keep the adapter from the cigi lighter lead that plugs into the snooper.

Cheers
mike

Offline dan23

• Here all the time
Re: Will this cable work?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2008, 21:04 »
yeah it should work mate, as all your doing is running an extension off the original wire.

one tip i wouls suggest is not cut the vig lighter plug off, just take it apart, and look how the wires go, this way you will know what wire does what cos the last thing you wanna do it put the live on the earth cos you will fry your snooper

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2008, 01:03 »
Yeah, i wil do that cheers :D

I didnt get around to actually doing this, i might just buy a hardwire kit for it and then it wil have the plug on the end, hmmmmmm

See if i get bored tomo.

But cheers for the info, hopefullly it wil be phat.

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v (96) Anniversary Edition
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2008, 21:53 »
stop wot ur doing. there is an easier way.
sum cigi lighter  wires have very thin n fine grade wires insidwe makin em near impossible to connect to another wire using ur average conectors.
What i would personally advise is to go to maplins or sumat and get hold of a female cigi ligher socket and mount a fused wire to it with an in line fude holder on the power side to. u then have the ability to just plug your snooper plug in as normal only behind the dash in the hidden away cigi lighter plug rather than the original car mounted one.

This is a method we use to "hardwire" at halfords;-)
so much easier and u can always easily remove after should u want to re-use the original power cable in another car as normal!
Why pay big bucks when you can do it yourself???
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/rujiboy/WheelRefurbishmentProcess1.jpg
sig pic too large, see forum guidelines - admin