Author Topic: Wiring amp to standard speakers in MK4 gti...  (Read 2247 times)

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
Wiring amp to standard speakers in MK4 gti...
« on: 20 May 2006, 10:32 »
got my amp wiring kit and my two sets of RCA's....

I wired up my saxo no problem, but that was installing new comps and x-overs, the amp and sub... this time i just want to amp up my front speakers and the sub...but using the standard speakers.

where are the x-overs located? do i have to take the door cards off? i remember having my car in bits when i did it to my saxo, seats out n everything!

Basically...

- Power wire with fuse through gromment down passenger side to amp in boot.

- Remote wire down same side

- RCA's down drivers side

- Speaker power wires down passenger side to the x-overs?

- then wires from x-overs to speakers + and -?

missed anything? whats this paralell and series wiring...? which should I do and how do i do it... i just wired + to + and - to - on each speaker... does this mean i didnt have stereo sound or somthing..? its been years since i did it im confusing myself lol!

can anyone help me :)

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
Re: Wiring amp to standard speakers in MK4 gti...
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2006, 13:10 »
I think just wiring it up as you said  is the best way, I'm not that sure what you mean by wiring in series or in parallel but I do know that some some stereos have a common negative on the left and right side to reduce the amount of wires needed. As for the crossovers I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, you could cut the speaker wires as close to the back of the stereo as you can and connect the wires from the amp to them and hopfully the signal will still be running through the crossover's or you can try to find the crossovers and run the wires from the amp straight to them. I'm not sure about the wiring on a MK4 so I don't know for sure the best way of doing it.  :undecided:

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2006, 18:53 »
cheers man, anyone else got any advice? gonna do it tuesday i think...

is it a door cards off job?

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2006, 00:21 »
someone must have wired up an amp in a mk 4...?! doing this on tuesday and ive forgotten how to do it!

what do i do with the wires that come from the head unit to the speaker... i think they went into the x-over before and then came out again to the speakers, and the power wires went into the x-over too... is power carried down the same wires as the sound? im confused...

do i just plug the rca's into the back of the headunit and the power wires to the speakers, or the power wires to to the speakers with the head unit wires left in place?,....

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2006, 11:31 »
O.K. What you need to do is have the R.C.A leads plugged into the back of the headunit (there should be labeled connectors) as well as the remote on cable (some makes have the R.C.A's and remote on together), the other end of the R.C.A's and remote on obviously goes to the terminals on the amp. If you haven't allready you will have to run a fused live wire from the battery directly to the amp and then earth the amp with as short a earth wire as possible (make sure the live and earth are the same thickness if you can). Then run the speaker wires from the terminals on the amp to the crossovers in the car, depending on the amp it should be marked with something like "speakers out, front/rear and obviously + and -) it may also have a tri or bridge mode but this is not really relevant in this case. Personally I allways take the fuse out of the live wire and only put it back in when everthing else is finished and your ready to go. To be fair its not easy knowing what to do without seeing your intended set up but I hope this helps you a bit  :wink:

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2006, 18:37 »
i dont think the golf has x=overs...  :S

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2006, 18:47 »
How many speakers does it have in the front ? If its only 2 you wont have crossovers and can run the speaker wires from the amp straight to the speakers

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2006, 13:48 »
its got the speakers in the doors, and the tweeters in the A-pillars, but the guy from the ice shop said he doesnt think golfs have crossovers and the wires mite just go right into the back of the speakers?

wheres dizzie when u need him!?

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2006, 14:13 »
right.... wired it all in yesterday! had to take most of the stuff out of the engine to get the damn cable through the grommet, with a lot of swearing and me and my mates scuffed knuckles it finally went through!

its all working now... wired to the wiring loom at the back of the headunit so amped just the fronts, the rears are just faded out now. gotta play with the gains etc when i get a minute, it was a ball ache getting the headunit back in due to all the wires... and the rca's i had werent long enough so the are going through the middle of the car, when i get a minute im gonna have to remove the passenger seat and run them under the carpet, coz they are currently showing between the back seat and the rear ashtray where i then routed them under the tranmission cover.

BUT... as i had with the saxo... noise in the system that increases with revs.... ahhh! and i dont think a surpressor is gonna fit behind the dash, as i had enough trouble getting the remote and rca wires behind there!!!  :angry:

Offline mk2singh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2006, 20:43 »
y dnt u jus change ur headunit?? make life much easier?  :huh: