Author Topic: wiring  (Read 1726 times)

Offline dubslug

• I live here
wiring
« on: 27 July 2004, 16:26 »
right i have a pioneer head unit,1 4 channel anp 1 2channel amp for the sub.4 channel amp runs all speakers

if i run the power cable down the passenger side of the car, the rca down the drivers side with remote, does that mean all speaker cables should go down the middle??
im trying to stop allinterferance as i have an engine whine when cars running.
where is best earth point, and how do i stop speaker cables being near the power cables??

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline lints

• Not said much yet
Re:wiring
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2004, 09:33 »
tbh, i've never found interferance to be an issue with having power cables near rca's or speaker cable, saying this, i've got my power running up the passenger side and all my rca's and speaker cable running down the transmission tunnel (i cut a section of carpet out under the centre console for it all to pop out of) it's when it reaches the boot that they all start to get a little close. i have speaker cable touching the power and while it's technically not the best thing to do, in my case i've noticed nothing in the way of interferance.

in my experience engine whine is either a bad earth (have you stripped all the paint back from the earth point for a good connection?), whether it be the headunit or the amps earth so i'd check them first, or, if you've got passive xovers the positioning of these can cause problems, i shoved mine right near the fusebox and had constant clicking until i realised what was making the noise.

Another cause could be a knackered alternator, if it's on it's way out it can intrduce noise into the system.

as for earth points, you could strip the paint back from the screw that holds the sparewheel in place and use a nut of the right size to clamp it down before putting the spare wheel back in, or anywhere else that is reasonably substantial that you don't mind takingthe paint off,

hope some of this helps mate, i't a pain when you get noise in the system, but normally it's something simple like ther earth point :)

Blue MK2

« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2004, 10:27 »
all my wires run down the same area and i have no problems.

you can connect the remote to the (+) on your rear lights so when you switch the lights on, the amp kicks in 8)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2004, 12:19 »
I've always run my cables down opposite sides. Just removes the risk of interfence that's all.

blue, that means you'd have to have your lights on all the time when you have tunes on (99% of the time for me). It doesn't take long to run another cable down there along with the RCAs
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline benjam_in

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2004, 12:31 »
U could also wire ur remote on off the rear wiper! that would be almost as usefull as off the lights!  :P think its best to run a wire with the others from the back of the head unit!

Golf Mk2 Gti 1988

Offline lints

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2004, 16:48 »
lot of night time listeners out there! :)

there really is no substitute for using the hu remote thou, although i wouldn't daisy chain more than three 'items' to it or you risk blowing your remote, anything over that and you really need a relay (cost about ?2), this takes a direct live from the battery and you connect your hu remote to it, and it has an earth and a 12v output. when you power up your hu it switches the relay on using the remote allowing the 12v output to switch on, this can turn your amps on, led's, neon, fans etc.. without straining your hu.