Author Topic: V6 4motion sounds like a tractor  (Read 2602 times)

Offline golf-monkey

• Just got here
V6 4motion sounds like a tractor
« on: 04 December 2017, 15:35 »
Hello, I hope someone can help me out here as im stuck. I bought a very nice low milage V6 last march and everything has been great until I gave it an oil change. I put Castrol 5W/40 oil in with a new filter but then it started making a horrible noise, A bit like a tractor, So after some research I flushed the engine and put new oil in but it's made no difference. The noise is coming from the drivers side, Hard to explain what it sounds like but the engine was silent before I changed the oil. The car runs fine but the noise is driving me nuts. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers all...Rich

Offline golf-monkey

• Just got here
Re: V6 4motion sounds like a tractor
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2017, 21:25 »
Thanks for the help  :sad:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 21:40 »
Sorry to see you didn't get any help mate...mine is a just a lowly 1.9 TDI and on my last change swapped from the 10W30 to the 5W40 (mainly because of our very low winter temps), but I experienced no change in engine sounds or smoothness at all. Just for background info...my Golf is used in temps ranging between 45 degrees C in the summer and minus 25 degrees C in the winter...it always starts on the button, usually within a second or two, regardless of the outside temp.

I know what it's like to ask for help and get no response and I would like to be able to help, but I have no answers for you.

:sad:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 22:33 »
Probably chain/tensioner on it's way out.
Very common problem on the VR6, especially if it was run on longlife intervals (longlife oil isn't actually bad, it just is if you leave it in the engine for two years). By changing oil you probably flushed out a lot of crap that kept it quiet.....

At least now you hear that you have a problem.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline golf-monkey

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2017, 18:00 »
Thanks for the replies. Well I rang the Volkshop up and had a good natter with the chap there, He asked where the noise is coming from and I said the drivers side, He said the chain is on the other side of the engine so it's probably no that, He thinks it could be the oil pump.