Author Topic: project:1.6 driver,aka the beast  (Read 34490 times)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: project:1.6 driver,aka the beast
« Reply #20 on: 23 December 2010, 17:04 »
im not sure about the lights either and im changing the wheels soon anyway(thay were painted like that to cover up the rust and only on the car because i couldnt afford tyres for the alloys)

:grin: Fair enough, i'll be sure to keep an eye on the thread to see the progress anyway :cool:

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2010, 17:17 »
Would be nice completely standard lowered on them RA style wheels, everything else in my eyes looks like it's trying too hard to be 'original' but just looks awful :undecided: seats and lights just look chavvy. But looks like a good base shell :) could be nice.

Dan

Offline i_am_me

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2010, 17:21 »
i get bored far too easily to have a standard car low on alloys.
i like trying something,if i like it it stays if not then it go`s
<br />
If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #23 on: 23 December 2010, 22:28 »
coilovers were setup ok,not perfect i admit but it still griped better than when it was standard,accident was caused by a spill......

lemski will say how well it grips normally :grin:

Does 'set up OK' feature any actual time on a ramp with some alignment kit?

Give the angle of your lower control arms it gripped no better than it would have done out of the box, it just would have felt that way, but because you'd moved the roll-centre below ground level it will let go earlier and with far less warning.

the plates for my harnesses have arrived today and will be fitted asap.

Will the plates move the harness securing bolts to somewhere else that isn't presumably the rear seatbelt mounts?  In an accident those POS harnesses will probably snap one of your collarbones as they're pathetically narrow and as the force increases they'll pull you down in your seat, compressing your spine and as you slide down as you don't have a crutch strap it'll do further damage to your spine as you submarine out of them.

Dumb f*ck modification and dangerous, too.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline i_am_me

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 23 December 2010, 22:56 »
no it didnt have time on a ramp,it was set as close as possible by measuring various gaps between parts, so like i said it wasnt perfect but it was close.
the plates are to strengthen the mounting points to fia standards,but no it wont move them from the rear seat belt points,i know they are thin and i tried to find a set that were wider but most harnesses are the same width and they do conform to track standards,i also know about the compression injury in a crash but i cannot find a harness bar that could be fitted without a cage and i cannot afford a cage yet.however i am looking for a cheap full cage (has to be a full cage as the half cages in the rear arn`t very good)if anyone knows of one.
<br />

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #25 on: 24 December 2010, 09:33 »
no it didnt have time on a ramp,it was set as close as possible by measuring various gaps between parts, so like i said it wasnt perfect but it was close.

What utter tosh.

No, your harnesses don't conform to 'track standards'.  Go read the Blue Book - the angle of the shoulder straps is on or just over 45 degrees.

Why anyone outside of a 4x4 trialer would buy 2" belts is beyond me - can you not see they're significantly narrower than the standard belts, numpty?

If you can't do it properly, don't do it - your 3-point belt will be much safer.

Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline i_am_me

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 24 December 2010, 11:59 »
again like i said the suspension was close not perfect if i had it set up with alignment equipment it would have been perfect.but it was alot closer than just bolting it on and hoping for the best.
i also said the harnesses themselves are fia approved not how they were mounted.
<br />

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #27 on: 24 December 2010, 20:38 »
get so,e ,ore pics up and an update. you worse than chriss and hes not even on this forum.

liam

Offline i_am_me

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 24 December 2010, 20:40 »
i will at some point but i havent taken any new ones so i cant at the moment
<br />

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #29 on: 24 December 2010, 20:44 »
your a let down, o has chriss come round to steal some spair parts yet?