Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171027 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #180 on: 09 May 2019, 10:55 »
I'm already looking at other cars instead of looking forward forward to the mk8. It looks odd and out of proportion and I think even the GTi or R versions won't save it. The issue is though what else is around that can replace a Dec 2016 Golf GTi PP? A last of line 7.5 GTi, last of line R, TCR? Polo GTi? Hyundai i30n performance, a35 AMG, Leon Cupra. I know it definitely won't be a focus as thats even fuglier than the mk8. Anyone with any other ideas?

The Focus ST has been revealed - 280bhp for £32k. Must say, looks ok bit doesn't look particularly great inside from a tech perspective. Don't think it would be on my list next. Think it's a case of wait and see for the Performance versions of the Mk8 as they might look good..

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eurocars/2019-ford-focus-st-gets-280hp--update/39640?fbclid=IwAR3c-cHOb16LGBtivdinUga564RWnL7HpgzEZMoL8nZkm_nw4K0Wvee1DX4

Urgh, as horrible as ever.

Two things that will definitely suck with the Focus:

1) The interior and tech will be ten years out of date minimum
2) The fuel economy will be dreadful (its actually one of the least spoken about aspects of VW's 2.0l turbos - all that performance and 40mpg is definitely still possible!).

Oh and chavs will try to steal your Focus soon as look at it and Ford security has been dreadful since time began. (I've had Fords stolen too many times in the past)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #181 on: 09 May 2019, 12:24 »
Plasticky cheap inside as ever with Ford, the looks of that dissuade me from even looking down the ST route!
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #182 on: 09 May 2019, 12:32 »
Hard to disagree with those 2 points! Both true in my experience having owned a few STs and now a 7.5 GTI

However, the man driving the focus ST will definitely:

1) Be having more fun driving his ST than us in our Golfs
2) have instant acceleration in any gear at any revs rather then us having to wait half a day for the power to come on in our golfs
3) have a manual clutch that wont melt
4) be able to accelerate decently under 3500 rpm

Dont get me wrong I believe the Golf is the better car but it's quite some distance off being as good as a fast Ford in purely hot hatch driving experience in my opinion. The golf is better in all other aspects though.

Depends what your looking for I guess. I wouldn't right the focus off just yet...

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #183 on: 09 May 2019, 12:34 »
Plasticky cheap inside as ever with Ford, the looks of that dissuade me from even looking down the ST route!

I did a cursory run around all the garages and the only car the created any mild interest was the new A35 AMG but it became a bit marmite, however the Fords were the worst that sat in, or should say briefly sat in, as was instantly climbing out again - Quite like the external styling but you spend most time in the cabin not walking up to it and like you say its cheap materials
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #184 on: 09 May 2019, 12:48 »
Hard to disagree with those 2 points! Both true in my experience having owned a few STs and now a 7.5 GTI

However, the man driving the focus ST will definitely:

1) Be having more fun driving his ST than us in our Golfs
2) have instant acceleration in any gear at any revs rather then us having to wait half a day for the power to come on in our golfs
3) have a manual clutch that wont melt
4) be able to accelerate decently under 3500 rpm

Dont get me wrong I believe the Golf is the better car but it's quite some distance off being as good as a fast Ford in purely hot hatch driving experience in my opinion. The golf is better in all other aspects though.

Depends what your looking for I guess. I wouldn't right the focus off just yet...

Styling is good and they obviously drive really well so why do they go so cheap in the cabin to turn the more discerning buyer off, the ones who place cabin experience quite high.

But do get what saying, if performance is your thing and maybe some of the focus other driving virtues you will likely overlook the cabin much more than those like most of us where cabin quality matters - does to me and thats a shame as its not the Ford badge that puts me off, I like the style and likely the drive from what everyone else says, but that interior quality will always alienate me
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #185 on: 09 May 2019, 13:15 »
I suppose the thing is, nobody would spend getting on for 40k on a Focus ST. The cuts have to come somewhere.

I am absolutely sure that it drives superbly (as would the Megane too!), but both the interior and stupid fuel costs would make it a no-no for me.

I don't care about the badge though - I don't even care much about the VW one on my own car. Its not about snobbishness, its just about a car that is a nice place to be for all the hundreds of hours I spend in it AND doesn't break the bank.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #186 on: 09 May 2019, 13:42 »
I suppose the thing is, nobody would spend getting on for 40k on a Focus ST. The cuts have to come somewhere.

I am absolutely sure that it drives superbly (as would the Megane too!), but both the interior and stupid fuel costs would make it a no-no for me.

I don't care about the badge though - I don't even care much about the VW one on my own car. Its not about snobbishness, its just about a car that is a nice place to be for all the hundreds of hours I spend in it AND doesn't break the bank.

And thats what think people overlook continually, that its about the badge, its always been about the car to me, if the car stacks up against my requirements or close to, then it gets a serious look - was just thinking and we have had BMW vauxhall, Mini Ford, Rover Nissan MG Audi and VW in all our years of car ownership and each was taken on face value of being the best car for me at the time and that would be same now and sure some companies defend their loss of sales to Audi, BMW etc as buyers chasing the badge, but if they produced a car that met the standard folk would get to know and genuine interest would come - as it is, there is always some corner cut somewhere and you tend to stay with the better product (thats not to say VW etc have not cut corners on trim in recent times to save a few pennies)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #187 on: 09 May 2019, 14:39 »
My cars have been Ford, Vauxhall, Renault, Nissan, Honda... and recently VW. Were they all sh1t buckets? Some were, but they were the right choices for my budgets.

Do I dream of owning a BMW M? Yes, I guess I do, but more about the power than the badge. I can't afford to run it though even if I could afford to own it!

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #188 on: 09 May 2019, 16:06 »
Think this likely applies to all cars you tune and tweak but a tweaked i30N grabbing some attention at Goodwood

https://caffeineandmachine.com/project-hoondai-step-2-take-a-deep-breath/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #189 on: 09 May 2019, 17:02 »
The I30N does sound epic in that link.... whether I could live with it as a daily though...

And that's why Golf GTI's are loved - because they aren't hardcore. They are nice road cars with no vices that are just as happy tootling to the supermarket or sitting in traffic as they are being ragged.