Author Topic: why does sat nav in new cars cost so much?  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
why does sat nav in new cars cost so much?
« on: 04 September 2009, 23:06 »
Some manufactureres charge £1000+ for sat nav when you can buy a TomTom for under a hundred notes, how is it justified???

How much does it cost in the mk6?
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline DonnieDarko

• GTI forum regular
Re: why does sat nav in new cars cost so much?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2009, 00:08 »
a lot! i'll be using my tom tom 930!
Just sold an S5 - previously mkV R32 DSG Metallic Grey with RNS 510 (thanks to MortyGT140)

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2009, 01:45 »
Now the prices have gone up it's £1620 - £2225  :shocked:  depending on whether you have Dynaudio or a CD changer. Basically like any company they'll screw you for every penny they think they can get. And as plently of people buying a new car will specify sat nav, it's win-win for VW.

Plus of course TomTom, Garmin etc make literally millions of their products where VW probably sells a lot fewer so there's economies of scale. And VW get a car stereo company to make it, rather than a sat-nav company. And the VW unit is a DVD player and reads SD's and gets radio and will bluetooth your phone and knows how to interface with your reverse camera and tell you your arse is going to get heated and probably makes coffee too.

Personally, I think integrated sat nav is probably worth about £800, so I'd buy one on ebay and fit it myself. Or use last years road atlas and save myself another £800.

Golf R

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2009, 06:34 »
Renault have recently begun selling integrated TomTom satnavs on some models for about £300. They're not particularly well integrated (they stick out of the top of the dash), but at least one manufacturer is making an effort. I agree it's very annoying when you see portable satnavs for under £100 which do almost the same thing as some manufacturers' £2000+ designs (albeit less elegantly).

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2009, 08:05 »
Seat also do this on the new Ibiza. It doesn't appear to be anything more sophisticated than a mounting point on the dash board which has a power supply to it. Mind you, for me the only downside of Tom Tom is having to use the naff sucker pad and having the charging lead all over the place. This solves both of these, so it's a step in the right direction.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2009, 09:30 »
To be honest I think I'd rather use a TomTom  or garmin than a manufacturer's version because it would probably be more up to date. And who wants DVD in their car anyway! Honestly if manufacturers had a brain they'd get Garmin or Tomtom internals in their satnavs, and DVD players dont cost much these days either anyway, shouldnt cost more than £400-£500 for a decent system.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline DonnieDarko

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2009, 11:13 »
To be honest I think I'd rather use a TomTom  or garmin than a manufacturer's version because it would probably be more up to date. And who wants DVD in their car anyway! Honestly if manufacturers had a brain they'd get Garmin or Tomtom internals in their satnavs, and DVD players dont cost much these days either anyway, shouldnt cost more than £400-£500 for a decent system.

i would def buy an integrated tomtom
Just sold an S5 - previously mkV R32 DSG Metallic Grey with RNS 510 (thanks to MortyGT140)

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2009, 11:51 »
Integrated nav/bluetooth should be standard these days on a £23,000 car. Or at most a few hundred quid option. I know it's got a silly name and isn't everyones cup of tea, but the RNS510 sat nav comes as standard on the Skoda Superb for that price. As does most nearly everything else that you pay extra for on a Golf.

If I buy a Skoda, will you laugh at me?  :grin:
Golf R

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2009, 12:32 »
[quote author :grin:  :grin: :grin: :grin:link=topic=128267.msg1140117#msg1140117 date=1252147899]
Integrated nav/bluetooth should be standard these days on a £23,000 car. Or at most a few hundred quid option. I know it's got a silly name and isn't everyones cup of tea, but the RNS510 sat nav comes as standard on the Skoda Superb for that price. As does most nearly everything else that you pay extra for on a Golf.

If I buy a Skoda, will you laugh at me?  :grin:
[/quote]

:grin: :grin: :grin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lol
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2009, 15:18 »

I wote a whole dissertation on this subject about 5yrs ago... its simply down to manufacturers not agreeing on a std format/protocol. 5yrs on and I see its something they still havent addressed. Although they are still making alot of money from this market.... just look at the market share tomtom and others have managed to steal from the car industry :undecided:

missed a trick  :wink: