Author Topic: why does sat nav in new cars cost so much?  (Read 7183 times)

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
Re: why does sat nav in new cars cost so much?
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2009, 15:58 »

The reliance on these things makes me laugh. It's usually drivers who pootle about their own town, which they already know who use them :grin:

I hitched a ride with a friend one Sunday night after he'd bought a sat nav. He knew where he was, where he was going and crucially how to get there, but he refused to leave until booting up the Nav. WTF?  :rolleyes:

Unrelated rant - sorry!

Nav =  total waste of money, IMO.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2009, 16:10 »
tbh familydub your absolutely right!!

I was nothing but a map man before (even then I wold have to be pretty lost to use it) but since I had the sat nav I am very reliant on it. Although it is great for finding new shortcuts etc, Im useless without it now. :undecided:

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2009, 16:17 »
tbh familydub your absolutely right!!

I was nothing but a map man before (even then I wold have to be pretty lost to use it) but since I had the sat nav I am very reliant on it. Although it is great for finding new shortcuts etc, Im useless without it now. :undecided:

I enjoyed spending a few years learning the short cuts around my town, but ETTO  :kiss:

Don't get me wrong though... I'd have an RCD510 if someone had one going for £400   :wink:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2009, 16:19 »
Im useless without it now. :undecided:

lol bloke who used to work with me couldn't function without his sat nav.  one day he was out, only 20 miles down the road, about a half hour journey, and it took him 2 HOURS to get home!!  :shocked: :shocked:

His sense of direction was non-existant!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2009, 16:24 »
i know all the local shortcuts too... but our local council hav a habit of blocking them off :angry:

nothing worse than trying one, to end up looking stupid and ending up behind the car you were previously infront of :embarassed:

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2009, 16:28 »
i know all the local shortcuts too... but our local council hav a habit of blocking them off :angry:

nothing worse than trying one, to end up looking stupid and ending up behind the car you were previously infront of :embarassed:

Yup. That happens to me!  :laugh:  :embarassed:

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2009, 20:27 »
Personally I want an RNS510 for the sake of the hard drive! 
The 20gb on that and a 32gb memory card would save me keeping my iPod in the car all the time.

The SatNav is an added bonus - it looks nice, and will probably be used 5 times a year or something when I make long journeys to places I'm unfamiliar with.

Hopefully I can pick up an immaculate one for about £700 - and then sell off my RCD510 for £300 ish - making the RNS cost around £400!

Sorted!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline mds69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2009, 21:22 »
Personally I want an RNS510 for the sake of the hard drive! 
The 20gb on that and a 32gb memory card would save me keeping my iPod in the car all the time.

You can attach USB hard drives to the MDI can't you (i.e. a 250GB one is probably less than £100)?

The SatNav is an added bonus - it looks nice, and will probably be used 5 times a year or something when I make long journeys to places I'm unfamiliar with.

Was offered a GTi with SatNav by my dealer rather than seemingly endless wait for my spec - is very nice and everything but is totally useless compared to my basic TomTom - it doesn't (fully) recognise postcodes (only uses first 4 characters from memory, i.e. gets you within a few miles of your destination...aaargh!  :huh:

Offline DonnieDarko

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 07 September 2009, 21:42 »
yes, it is strange a £1500 system is unable to compete with my wife's 5 year old £100 tomtom, let alone my new one.

if the mdi can take/power a hard drive, tesco are selling an iomega 320gb for around £45, in brushed steel

so these days can you just plug in an RNS where the RCD was? I though there was a built in aerial etc in the car & a sharks fin?
« Last Edit: 07 September 2009, 21:48 by DonnieDarko »
Just sold an S5 - previously mkV R32 DSG Metallic Grey with RNS 510 (thanks to MortyGT140)

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2009, 21:45 »
My local dealer, told us not to get the RNS as it was useless.
Now when a salesman tells you this, when there is a possible bigger profit for his company, sometimes you have got to listen.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.