Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362538 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
If you look carefully at the picture of the installed new version, you can see that the piston is still retracted in it's housing as the retaining clip hasn't been removed.

Just a thought  to Snoopy, would it be an idea to copy and paste the DIY I put on as a seperate thread. It would make it easier to find for anyone looking for a walkthrough. (Or should that be a drive through?)
« Last Edit: 15 October 2014, 19:37 by andygo »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Oll try and do it at the weekend when i have access to my pc unless you want to do it sooner.
Geoff.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
No rush at all, I've done mine!   :cool:

Offline maksta

• Not said much yet
Hi All,

I lost power at 60-70mph and suspected it was ECU fault, however the VW dealership thinks that the chain has broke and at worse case scenario a whole new engine may be required.

I have a 59 plate mark 6 golf GTI and have done 53k miles and is out of warranty. Can anyone let me know where I stand and what negotiating power I have in terms of good will and what you all think is a reasonable price to pay. (I know the first comment on the feed says up to £1k, that sounds good if thats parts and labour and assume that is a lot of good will)

I am extremely dissapointed and they are going to call me back in the next 3 hours after using a telescopic camera to confirm what needs doing/replacing.

Many thanks in advance.
Mark. 

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
First of all kick off politely saying its a design floor and you are aware there has been 3 revision of the part as VW know its a weak point.

At no point in the first phone call accept should you accept any blame or be willing to pay anything. Tell them you will raise a complaint with VW customer care / services and go from there.

On a side note- the chain rarely snaps/ fails when the car is moving. It usually fails on start up when there is no tension in the chain.

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline maksta

• Not said much yet
Hi Ross,

thank you very much for the speedy response.

I will wait for confirmation of what has happened and what they propose to do and refer to the fact that there has been a design floor and VW know it is a weak point and that I will raise a complaint with VW customer care services. Am I right that others have paid up to a maximum of £1k for parts and labour when out of warranty?

That's interesting regarding it being rare that a chain snaps whilst the car is moving.... I will confirm once I hear back from them.

Many thanks

Offline maksta

• Not said much yet
So basically the chain did break at around 65mph in 6th gear and my engine is a right off!!!

After many discussions with the dealer (and them with the manufacturer) I have managed to get a new engine, however at first the manufacturer would not contribute towards the dealers labour charge of 16hrs x £100 = £1600 but I said I was only prepared to pay £1000 for labour and that the manufacturer know about this fault etc and they are now paying £600 towards the labour so I am paying £1k.

For your info board, 59 plate Dec 2009, 53k miles, broke down Oct 2014, Deal - new engine and labour at £1000 (and a free courtesy car for duration probably a week)

Best of luck to the rest of you!
« Last Edit: 30 October 2014, 12:48 by maksta »

Offline ethmanp

• Not said much yet
Hi guys - I'm new here. Names Ethan and i'm after some advice / help.  :whistle:

I've got a Mk6 gti DSG (auto) with 53k miles on the clock.

I recently had some problems with my car and despite it in at a VW dealership local to me they can't 100% assure me that the suggested fix with sort the issue with my car!

The car went in to limp mode having just pulled off a roundabout - car had been running fine for 30 minutes prior and was warm. Took it to a garage, reset error code which was showing as (camshaft related) to make sure of most recent faults and nothing came up when car restarted. Test drove car - it ran fine. Precautionary, had filters, plugs etc changed, ran fine for 2k miles later and no problems.

A week ago, I was headed to a meeting and stopped at the traffic lights. I had the radio on so didn't manage to hear the car cut out. Fired it back up and pulled in to the car park where it began to idle terrible as i slowed down. Manoeuvred it into a space with it sounding terrible and at one stage the gear icon on the dash was flickering between Neutral and 1st.

Recovered to a friend garage and faults codes that were present were:

Camshaft / crankshaft incorrect correlation

Camshaft position sensor implausible signal

Camshaft bank 1 error

The car is in at a local VW dealership and despite when firing up it idles terribly, they are reporting that they aren't getting any fault codes. I've told them the codes which were present when I plugged it in and symptoms prior to the problem.

They're telling me that they think (based on symptoms and what they have looked into) that a replacement timing chain tensioner will sort the problem. They mentioned they took off the covers to the timing and all marks aligned within allowable tolerance. They since called back and told me that to fix the problem it will cost me £1,300 and will include changing the "Timing change assembly and ancillaries". Didn't think there would be any damage to valves pistons. I asked how he could be sure and his reply was we're pretty sure there wont be (I don't know much about cars but this guy seemed over his head in terms of explaining the problem to me)! I was too pissed off to question what the assembly and ancillaries would include. He also mentioned there would be no compensation available from VW either.

I'm going to give Ben at VW Crosshills a call in the morning.

Any help / advice on the problem much / where I might stand with VW paying for part of the repair much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 02 December 2014, 18:23 by ethmanp »
09 Gti, Black Pearl, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Miltek Catback, APR Stage 1 intake

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Off quickly looking over it I doubt the the tensioner has failed and I'm no mechanic so could be shot down here but changing the tensioner in my opinion would do bugger all. It's either broke or not and if it is broke or your timing has gone out the engine would of ruined itself by now and if you say its starting but idling funny, when mine did that that was the pistons ragging it's self the shreds hence the funny idling, this was the last sound that engine made.

Furthermore I'd be asking them why your being asked to change a non serviceable part which is only due for a VISUAL inspection at 120,000 (Check you service book) and thus should not be in a state to be failing or being asked to replace. The age old argument if this is the case then the part was/is not fit for the purpose it was intended and thus VW pay not you or that would be and was my stance!

Onto what it could be I wouldn't have a clue, it's funny you mention this cos mine went into limp mode the other day (couldn't actually describe it but limp seems to be perfect) luckily I just pulled up outside the house however the light I had was the 'Emissions' it sorted it self out within a minute or so however in the morning when I started it it was idling funny kind of like pulsing a push of the accelerator seemed to not have any power and I didn't want to drive it. Luckily however the next morn it was fine bar the emission light which has since gone off.

I'm not saying my story is related but symptoms wise sounds similar. I suppose I'm just saying these are very complex engines and something as much as a £20 sensor can throw everything out and changing the tensioner first seems a bit extreme to me, but as said I'm no mechanic just my opinion.
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Just got back off holiday and read 2 posts up. Im also pretty sure the timing chain can not cause this.

All the part does it pull the chain tight on start up. Now a slack chain might cause it.

As said above it could be anything, something simple as a sensor. Have you had a second opinion?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)