Author Topic: 1.8 16v kr power steering mounting and brackets  (Read 5480 times)

Offline liam99

• Just got here
I'm having a couple of issues fitting power steering. As anybody got any pictures of it mounted to the block and any good pics of bracket and mountings used.

Thanks

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: 1.8 16v kr power steering mounting and brackets
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2012, 22:14 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=170521.0
Three QTR's down page!

Replace no. 13 bracket with this one in the picture and all will be good!

Offline liam99

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2012, 22:34 »
Thanks for that, I'm missing no.13.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2012, 11:32 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=170521.0
Three QTR's down page!

Replace no. 13 bracket with this one in the picture and all will be good!

This Numbered Dia; is for an 8V unit...

As Jay says replace item 13 with the one that's pictured below - also note all the bolts are different on an 16V ones I've taken off... They have a dual threaded bolt that affix's the water pump and then the bracket slots on and is held in place with nuts...

You also don't have bolt 14 as that holds the alternator in place on a 8V...

Nice Diagram Jay...

Does anyone have a link to how to PROPERLY adjust the pump brackets as I have never quite understood what to loosen and what to tighten to adjust it properly...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline liam99

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2012, 21:07 »
Thanks.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2012, 21:35 »
Rule of thumb tighten from block end first then make your way to the adjuster with the hook eye bolt.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2012, 22:14 »
Rule of thumb tighten from block end first then make your way to the adjuster with the hook eye bolt.

Sorry Jay I didn't explain myself properly...

I meant on how to tighten up the power steering brackets to adjust the tension on the belt...

I know you have to loosen the hidden bolts under the pump (17 & then 19) and then the adjuster bolt with the slider bolt (5,6 & 20) ...

But it always seems to me that its arse about tit on how to get it adjusted.... Which do you tighten 1st??? 6 & 20 then use bolt 20 to tighten and the tighten up 17 & 19?

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2012, 08:25 »
10 need to be quite tight
Then the rest finger tight 19 & 20(wiggle up down) until you get the right positions, then 16 & 17 (wiggle left to right) loose as the adjuster 6 will do most of the tension.
Guess its trial and error whatever works for you, but look at where the positions used to be if its still got the bolt indents as an indication where it sat the most comfortable. 
 If the belt moves as pressure is applied on the belt its done it should flex a few mm's.

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2012, 08:27 »
Loosen the ones that hold it to the bracket, loosen the adjuster locking nut on the back, wind up the 13mm adjuster bolt to take up tension in belt, when happy with tension tighten adjuster locking bolt and then the others to hold it in that position against bracket. Can't see the pic as I'm on phone, but its simple mechanics this, not hard to figure out at all?!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2012, 11:50 »
Loosen the ones that hold it to the bracket, loosen the adjuster locking nut on the back, wind up the 13mm adjuster bolt to take up tension in belt, when happy with tension tighten adjuster locking bolt and then the others to hold it in that position against bracket. Can't see the pic as I'm on phone, but its simple mechanics this, not hard to figure out at all?!

If it was that simple I wouldn't have asked....

There must be a proper procedure on how to do it & when I've done it before I felt like I was going to break the adjuster bolt that fits on 5 & 6...