Author Topic: finally got me a tintop  (Read 11437 times)

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
Re: finally got me a tintop
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2012, 13:10 »
for you gibby the money shot

and a better shot of the colour

managed to keep up with an rs6 yesterday who was trying very hard

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2012, 17:21 »
woo hoo today the crappy immobiliser that kept embarassing me is now gone and a proper alarm in place, gone is the ten minutes trying to start it, can now start hawking it around bodyshops to get some quotes, come pay day a new pre rad for the charge cooler and new pump  :smug:

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2012, 20:05 »
replaced fuse board today in an attempt to cure intermittant flashing oil light, oil pressure is good as indicated by vdo gauge, pretty sure its a wire problem now or clocks, im erring towards clocks as rev counter needle does some wierd stuff when changing gear or slowing down, tomorrow will be cure exhaust knocking, rattle from drivers door, fit oem tail lights and fit oem parcel shelf.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2012, 13:05 »
Now that's better. :cool:

Any ideas what it's pushing BHP wise ?
......now officially dubless.

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2012, 19:42 »
well the seller said is was 280 atw but i find that hard to believe as everything ive read about g60s points to around 250 at the fly as the maximum with major head work, standalone management, bigger injectors etc.
its got what looks like standard green injectors, the ecu has been chipped, 4branch mani, the charge cooler , and runs a 1.8t crank pulley with a 68mm charger pulley. i have seen 17psi on the guage but have no idea if that is good or bad for the set up.
i hope to sort the bodywork, i.e get a price, then i will uprate charge cooling system i.e bigger pre rad and better pump and new hoses. the charge cooling system is definitely not efficient  due to the piddly little pre rad.
at a guess i would say around the 200bhp mark at the fly, but my god does it shift, even if it was that it still needs an lsd as it just cannot get the power down in 1st, 2nd or 3rd if you plant your foot.
its a keeper so i have a goal to gradually work to, just wish i had the welding skills to do the body  :wink:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2012, 13:23 »
Aye 280 is a bit optimistic. 200 in a car that weighs well under a tonne is pretty good going and is always going to quick. :cool: It sounds brill. :afro:

I always thought that a G40 would be a better match for 1 mk1 as the G60 modded is always going to have probs putting the power down.
......now officially dubless.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2012, 16:07 »
Still catching up after a couple months off the site.

Wow!... I don't know why but it looks familiar, I think it's just the colour though.  Sounds like you're having a right crack already!  Looks good too.   I do hate it when sellers feel the need to massage power figures when the truth is impressive enough.

Concerned it only had water in it, do you know how long it had been running like that?... Also, what's the history like, servicing, especially when it comes to the charger?  Don't blow it up now!  :grin:

Seriously though, look forward to updates on this.... 

PS.  what happened to the cabby?

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2012, 17:34 »
good to see your back,  :smiley:
 its in the bodyshop now, rot was much worse than thought, its all sortable but its looking like 1000+ for welding alone, but once done should be good for at least another 10yrs.
the guy said he had a stack of history but was stored with all his junk and needed to dig it out, ive given up on that so will get charger done once body is sorted and improve charge cooling system.
car is going back to oem on outside, will need to source new stainless manifold and system, as well as carpets.
have already replaced rad,fan, filters, dizzy cap and leads also replaced fuse box and have cured the water leaks.
will also replace engine sensors prior to charger being done and need to get a lambda on it.
will post up pics once its painted  :wink:

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2013, 16:22 »
went and had a look today and the welder has just about replaced every bit around the outside of the underside, one rear axle mount also requires plating and a new offside wing is on order as well as tank straps. if i had known it was this bad i would have passed on this car but previous work had been done to make it look good but not structurally sound.
thankfully we are doing it all correctly this time so should last a very long time. arches are having rolled and sealed lips so should never rust again and im losing the plastic. hopefully another 2 weeks of welding and prep should see it ready for paint

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2013, 18:51 »
pics from yesterday

there were holes under both rear arches where they meet the rear panel as well as the inner arches, also holes on inner sill where it met the floor pan, it really was a rot box but is all sorted now