Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 530192 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1740 on: 14 May 2018, 13:38 »
Lovely Indium detailing going on.  :cool: :cool: :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1741 on: 14 May 2018, 13:40 »
Quick(ish) maintenance wash.

- Wheel/tailpipe pre wash spray - ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
- Snow Foam - ValetPro Advanced Neutral
- DI pressure rinse
- Citrus Pre Wash - ValetPro Citrus Pre Wash
- DI pressure rinse
- Wheel bucket wash and rinse - Swissvax Car Bath
- 2 bucket body wash - Swissvax Car Bath
- DI pressure rinse
- Open ended hose rinse DI
- Towel dry - Gyeon Silk Dryer and WoWo towels
- Tailpipes - Mothers Mag & Aluminim Polish
- Tyres dressed - Achem Hi Shine Long Lasting Tyre Dressing

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1742 on: 14 May 2018, 14:32 »
That looks incredible.  There is no other word for it really.

Nice one on recommending the Swissvax Micro-fluffy towels earlier in this thread.  Amazon are currently selling them for £16.11 and I have a prime membership so I impulse bought one at the weekend after struggling to polish the wax of my car with the one I currently have.

It arrived today and it has a really weight about it  :smiley:

When cleaning my car I noticed a few water marks.  Any tips on removing those?
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1743 on: 14 May 2018, 14:46 »

Nice one on recommending the Swissvax Micro-fluffy towels earlier in this thread.  Amazon are currently selling them for £16.11 and I have a prime membership so I impulse bought one at the weekend after struggling to polish the wax of my car with the one I currently have.

Thanks.  :smiley:

Glad you like the SV buffing towels.  That’s a good price, was it the red edged or grey edged ones?   The red edged are very slighter less bulky than the grey ones and my favs bit both are great microfibres. 

Water spots. Pita majorly.  Several years ago I bought a Raceglaze DI water filter because I was sick of battling water spots drying on the car in the sun.  Never looked back.  So that’s the ultimate.  If not, and your car is in the sun when washing, when it time to dry, rinse and dry a panel at a time starting with the ones in the Sun first, not ideal abs dried areas get wet again but it can be done. 

For removing water spots, it can be difficult and in some cases only polishing brings them out as they can each clear coat.  CarPro Spotless is worth having in your kit, or try white vinegar, but both strip protection so any treated areas will need re-sealing/re-waxing.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/carpro-spotless-water-spot-remover/prod_1325.html
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 14:49 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1744 on: 14 May 2018, 15:26 »

Glad you like the SV buffing towels.  That’s a good price, was it the red edged or grey edged ones?   The red edged are very slighter less bulky than the grey ones and my favs bit both are great microfibres. 

Water spots. Pita majorly.  Several years ago I bought a Raceglaze DI water filter because I was sick of battling water spots drying on the car in the sun.  Never looked back.  So that’s the ultimate.  If not, and your car is in the sun when washing, when it time to dry, rinse and dry a panel at a time starting with the ones in the Sun first, not ideal abs dried areas get wet again but it can be done. 

For removing water spots, it can be difficult and in some cases only polishing brings them out as they can each clear coat.  CarPro Spotless is worth having in your kit, or try white vinegar, but both strip protection so any treated areas will need re-sealing/re-waxing.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/carpro-spotless-water-spot-remover/prod_1325.html

Thanks thats really helpful advice all round.  The towel in the picture on Amazon's website has grey edging, but the one I received is red: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FOMDKM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow that water filter looks amazing.  I think I'm just going to treat myself to one of those and save myself some longterm hassle as both my car and my Wife's are deep black pearl and both cars are washed in direct sunlight (depending on the weather).

To be honest I think most of marks I currently have one my car are thanks to the mega poor job the dealership did on it when it arrived from the factory.

Oh one final query, do you have any tips on best practice for removing the dreaded bird droppings?  I'm quite fortunate that my work carpark allows me to park without anyone on either side, but its down on a dockside so seagulls are a nightmare this time of year.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1745 on: 14 May 2018, 15:34 »

Thanks thats really helpful advice all round.  The towel in the picture on Amazon's website has grey edging, but the one I received is red: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FOMDKM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow that water filter looks amazing.  I think I'm just going to treat myself to one of those and save myself some longterm hassle as both my car and my Wife's are deep black pearl and both cars are washed in direct sunlight (depending on the weather).

To be honest I think most of marks I currently have one my car are thanks to the mega poor job the dealership did on it when it arrived from the factory.

Oh one final query, do you have any tips on best practice for removing the dreaded bird droppings?  I'm quite fortunate that my work carpark allows me to park without anyone on either side, but its down on a dockside so seagulls are a nightmare this time of year.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ah, lucky, you got the red edged one.  The grey one is quite a tad bulkier. 

For bird droppings, especially baked on ones, soak the area with water, or quick detailer, or even just a dampened cloth, or wet wipes.  Lay the saturated cloth in the bird poo, in til it’s really softened and then very very gently, wipe away bit by bit with a very soft microfibre.  Have some wet wipes, microfibres abd a bottle of QD or water in your boot at all times. I’m near the coast so get seagulls in my works car park so I know your pain.  Sometimes come out to the car to see them stood on the roof! 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #1746 on: 14 May 2018, 15:36 »
so wish you lived next door to me so i could do the poor disabled look and beg you to do mine at the same time..lol

it looks so good :) great job :)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1747 on: 14 May 2018, 15:41 »
so wish you lived next door to me so i could do the poor disabled look and beg you to do mine at the same time..lol

it looks so good :) great job :)

Haha!  Lucky I hate cats.  :grin:

On the othe hand I could be completely lying and actually love cats.   :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1748 on: 14 May 2018, 16:16 »
Ah, lucky, you got the red edged one.  The grey one is quite a tad bulkier. 

For bird droppings, especially baked on ones, soak the area with water, or quick detailer, or even just a dampened cloth, or wet wipes.  Lay the saturated cloth in the bird poo, in til it’s really softened and then very very gently, wipe away bit by bit with a very soft microfibre.  Have some wet wipes, microfibres abd a bottle of QD or water in your boot at all times. I’m near the coast so get seagulls in my works car park so I know your pain.  Sometimes come out to the car to see them stood on the roof!

Great thanks  :smiley: It can be quite soul destroying when you spend the weekend cleaning the car to come out on a Monday evening to find that every seagull in the area has had a shot.  Fortunately I haven't found one perched on my car, but one of my work colleagues ended up with a nice little dent in his bonnet due to a seagull trying to crack a crab shell open from a great height!

Appreciate all the advice.  Its my first brand new car so I'm really trying to do everything as best as time and resource will allow.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #1749 on: 14 May 2018, 21:29 »
is the stool so you can reach the middle of the roof?