Author Topic: track day pads  (Read 11332 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: track day pads
« Reply #30 on: 23 July 2011, 10:33 »
Its probably due to the 200kg's ish of ballast syncro's carry that you guys can't feel this difference. 

What difference?  Your explanation is so poor I have no idea what you're going on about.

And if you aren't brakingas hard as the available grip allows then you are losing lap time.

But if we're carrying more speed through the corners, because of higher mechanical grip (which is clearly demonstrable) then we're gaining lap time.  Didn't look like my speed was too shabby in comparison with the other G2 16vs on the track recently, although obviously you weren't there with your amazing skill and incredible car.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #31 on: 23 July 2011, 10:45 »
danny said extra grip doesn't mean arriving at the next corner faster, i say it does. keep up dumbass.

i'm not a big fan of banging my head against a wall so i'll leave this conversation now. Loving your description of my skill and car though, i think i'm an average driver personally.

by the way, where can we buy this 'super-fandango' brand of brake pads, i must try some

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2011, 02:09 »
as you go faster air resistance becomes a bigger factor,   given a log staright  and a brick shaped car, the erernal bastard that is air resitance can really ruin your day.

go round the corner say 20mph faster dosent mean im going 20 mph faster at the next.  but i will still be going round the next corener faster than you and have averaged a higher speed between them altho botgh are probaly approaching the coreners doing simalar speeds before brakeing
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #33 on: 28 July 2011, 13:30 »
LOL this thread has been a good laugh. Thanks DH for the giggle  :grin:
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Sammie-GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 29 July 2011, 11:04 »
popcorn moment  :laugh:

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 14 September 2011, 20:22 »
Without racing brake fluid you won't get the benefit from the performance pads. Pushing hard on the track with say red stuff pads and normal Dot 5, it's the fluid that boils first giving the dreaded long pedal!
I don`t agree about the fluid. I run cheap Comma 5.1 fluid, bleed it twice a year and change it annually. Never had any issue with fluid boiling.

I do disagree about pad compounds discussion in aprts too. I`ve run many different types of pad over the last few years and have found Carbone Lorraine RC6`s to be head and shoulders above the others I`ve tried. I can brake HARD, have great pedal feel and can brake to almost the point of locking up whilst still feeling what the tyres are doing. When running some other pads, you don`t get that feeling so have to brake more gradually, this means braking earlier and losing time. Saying that, i`m trying some RC8`s next year  :grin:

I often trail brake into a corner, but this has been after a lot of practise. Its also harder when running pads with less feel, you can`t feel the approaching lockup as easily.

If I can brake 5m later than someone else, in the similar cars and we both slow to the same entry speed, I`ll gain on him.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #36 on: 14 September 2011, 20:46 »
I run the Mintex 1155's and I rate them highly as they have supper sharp bit right from the off and give great feedback. I have to say I've never suffered brake fade on any of the pads I've run on track days but I like the feel of the mintex pads over anything else I've used and that's enough for me to warrant the extra cost over any other pad.

As for the racing fluid being more hydroscopic I will fully agree with that. Having not used th eGolf for ages and it being sat outside the flat the brakes have gone hella spongey.

Nick

Offline rallygolf

• Just got here
« Reply #37 on: 04 December 2011, 20:06 »
I use DS3000 and they are quite frankly a stunning pad.

If you check out the Co-efficient graphs for each pad you will soon understand why EBC are so bad.

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 08 December 2011, 03:48 »
If you check out the Co-efficient graphs for each pad you will soon understand why EBC are so bad.
Even when working the brakes HARD, I found zero fade and great retardation from EBC  :grin: I`m not saying the feel from them is great, but I can`t fault their actual braking performance when HOT. Absolutely NO fade.