Author Topic: MikeMaher205 - '91 Golf GTI  (Read 20922 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
MikeMaher205 - '91 Golf GTI
« on: 18 August 2009, 15:51 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: MikeMaher205 - '91 Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2009, 16:10 »
Welcome to my project thread.

The car:

1991 Golf GTi 8v

I bought it back in February 2009 to replace my Ford Fiesta Si 16v which was written off in December 2008. It had 134,000 on the clock, M.O.T till November 2009 and tax till June 2009. 11 previous owners but a wallet full of paperwork and a few stamps in the service book and also came with a box of spare parts, which has things light spare headlights in, interior trim pieces, 2 front CV joints which were brand new at £60 a piece and an inlet manifold. Not a bad little deal for £950 really.

It did however need some attention. The engine was noisy and smoked a little when warm, the front CV joints needed replacing and generally needed a good service. Also, the gearbox had a problem with going into 2nd and 5th gear sometimes. Here’s what the engine bay looked like when I got it home and into the garage.

First thing I had done was the water pump as the temperature was always really high and the guy that sold it said it needed doing. Lucky for me, there was one in the box of magic tricks so sent it to my usual mechanic’s workshop for some work.

Once that had been replaced the engine ran so much quieter and cooler, couldn’t believe the difference it made.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 16:38 by MikeMaher205 »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2009, 16:20 »
My first bit of work to the car involved and oil change and to replace the induction kit with a standard air box and filter. I’m a fan of standard really so I searched high and low for an air box and cool feed, but it took me weeks to find it.

The induction kit off and the area sort of cleaned up.

The air feed on with the wires all neat and tidy.

And there’s how it should look. At this point I very happy again.

Also around this time I changed the oil and oil filter, as there was next to none in the engine. I was worried that the loud noise had been the big end grinding away, so I was anxious to get this job done.

The previous person to service this Golf was an idiot. They had screwed the filter on so tight and not oiled the O ring so when it came to removing it, I broke my chain tool and spent about 4 hours sweating, cursing and ripping my hands to shreds trying to get the damn filter off. I didn’t want to hack a screw driver through it in case I needed to leave it on. Lucky for me, my friend popped over in the evening with a proper filter removal tool and had it off in minutes. I checked the old for metal fragments and grit which is the sign of big end damage and lucky it was smooth. Again, I was very happy and tiered at this stage.

No photos of the oil change as we’ve all seen it so what’s the point!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2009, 16:29 »
After the air box and oil change work, I left to begin basic training for the Royal Navy. After I’d moved to start my phase 2 training for my job, I came home and took the car back down to Plymouth from Essex, a total of 310 miles. Averaged out that just over 2/3 of a tank each way, which is higher MPG than some modern diesels! Anyway, one day I got really badly held up in traffic going back down to Plymouth and ended up sitting with the engine getting hot for over an hour. This had a bad effect on it and caused a new problem to arise.

When it’s been sitting in traffic for over 20 minutes, it’s causes something to become faulty and when you drive along between 1,900 and 2,500 RPM the engine will try to stall. This was annoying and happened every time I was stuck in traffic, which was weekly coming home and going back to Plymouth. In all faith and fairness though, she never let me down and made it every time.

I suspected, along with most people on here at first and various mechanical people, that there was a cooling problem. So I drained the system and flushed it with loads of water and also took special attention to the radiator.

At this time, I also found that the pipe connecting the water pump to the engine had a split in it which would explain why my water level would always drop every journey. Lucky for me, the box of magic tricks came into play and I had kept the original pipe from the old water pump. So killed 2 birds with one stone that day, or so I thought.

Went back to Plymouth, caught in traffic and it happened again. So now I was suspecting something with the electronics. Also, the mileage was now approaching 140,000 so time for a major service.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2009, 16:55 »
Ok, so now you’re up to date with my car and it’s history with me so far. Now, I have been on leave for the last 2 weeks and have the rest of this week home. In my first week, I went mad and bought a load of new parts as I’ve had a list of things to do for ages. The list was:

-   Head Gasket Set
-   Valve Stem Oil Seals
-   Front and Rear Engine Mount
-   Oil Filter
-   Fuel Filter
-   New HT Leads
-   New Spark Plugs

Along with the front CV joints, the plan was to get together with my friend who I met in basic training (who actually lives in the same home town as me and I knew his brother and a few of his mates) and get all these parts fitted into the car in the 3 weeks I was here.

Thing is, I kind of delayed a little with and was toying with the idea of getting a 2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec S and putting the Golf into storage or even selling her. Plus I sort of got together with a girl who I’d liked for a while so that stole some time. Anyway, couldn’t get enough money for a new car and by the time I got round to hooking up with me friend to begin work, I’d already wasted the first 12 days of my time off.

So to start off the work I decided that I’d do the front CV joints first as even if I got nothing else done, these were done after putting the job off for nearly 6 months. Got almost to the point of separating the wishbone front the driveshaft and found we didn’t have the tool so ended up just taking the brakes apart on the passenger side, undoing a bolt then putting it back together. I did learn how to change the brake pads though so not totally wasted day!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2009, 17:12 »
Within the last week, the list of parts, which have been sitting in my office for the last week or so, grew to include:

-   Gearbox Bushes
-   Gearbox Mount
-   Engine Flush
-   Head Bolts
-   Pipercross Air Filter (a present to myself)

Anyway, yesterday I’d found that the girl I liked had been taking me for a mug, so decided that to relax in the evening I’d get round to changing some parts on the Golf. I look the new spark plugs and HT leads to the garage and once again went into the box of magic trick and got my spare distributor cap out to replace on the Golf. Gave it a little clean up and checked it was alright. Also took the fuel filter out incase I got round to changing that.

First job, change the distributor cap for the newer one. I noted down where which lead from each cylinder went then took the old cap off. On checking the old one I saw that inside looked a little worn and the king lead connection on the cap looked a little corroded. Next stage, removed the old leads and plugs.

Again, previous person to service the car had done these up a bit too tight and I don’t know if they were changed 20,000 miles ago, but look at the old plugs compared to the new ones I put in.

Anyway, I had trouble with the new HT leads in 2 ways. First off, the king lead was about 2 inches too short so had to clean the old one of corrosion and re-fit that. Secondly, the leads wouldn’t fit onto the new plugs. I got annoyed and seeing as it was 10:30pm, decided to come in and watch Dave for a bit then went to bed.

This morning, went on here and was told the plugs have removable connection tips and the Gold leads needed them taken off. So out each plug came, removed the little bit of metal, re-oiled the threads and replaced them, then put the new leads in, perfect fit first time. Now I’m feeling happy with the car once again.

I’m hoping that I’ve fixed the engine problems I mentioned before. Tomorrow I’m over my friend’s house in Tiptree to get the CV joints, engine mounts, gearbox bushes and gearbox mount fitted. Could be a 2-3 days job this.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2009, 18:28 »
This Wednesday, I got my car back up to my friend’s yard where we cracked on with changing the front CV joints. Only taken me about 6 months to get round to it, but nevermind.

This time we made sure we had the right tools, which made it a very quick job overall, apart from one of the nuts being an arse about going on due to hammering the end of the joint with a hammer.

New vs. Old

The driveshaft and hub separated, with no CV joint on it (passenger side).

What it looks like all re-assembled. So shiny…

Now it no longer knocks when turning but overall hasn’t really changed the feel of the car. Another part I added that day was my Pipercross air filter and cleaned the air box out a bit. I wasn’t expecting great things however I did notice it’s a lot smoother pulling away and the very lowest rev range had improved a bit. Over the rest of the rev range however, I think it revs slightly lower now, but not amazingly different.

The last little bit now, I bought myself some Fox Racing 15” alloy wheels from a forum member today for £160. 205/50/R15 Pirelli P6000 on all 4 wheels with some good tread and the alloys are very clean and a small amount of kerbing. Had to travel to Croydon to pick them up, took 3 hours each way but so worth it in my opinion.

Now I’m going to see what they’re like to travel 400 miles on tomorrow, when I head back to Helston in Cornwall. Might not be updating on the car till November now, but when I do, it’ll be a good few posts. Top end engine re-build… Oh yes…

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2009, 16:41 »
Well, not much has happened to the Golf since the last update. The ignition problem I had before hasn’t been fully resolved; however this is due to be not replacing the rotor arm inside the distributor. But again, it’s only affected when the engine bay is left sitting in traffic and heating up for longer than 15 minutes. I came back the other night from Helston in 5 hours and 45 minutes, stopping for only 10 minutes at the services and there was not one problem with the engine, so it’s still a solid bit of kit, just a few minor things still wrong. It’s on my to-do list though.

The valve stem seals still need doing, but because that involves taking the head off which means skimming it and new gaskets, I’m leaving it till November when I have some time off. But I’m in a crisis with the whole car, as I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth me keeping it and carrying on the project.

The latest crazy plan for the Golf it to re-build the head of the engine but replace the bottom end with one from a 2.0 engine and put Piper camshaft and pulleys on, re-map the ECU and the usual suspension and brake upgrades. This is the cheapest and probably easiest way in which to get between 115bhp and 130bhp, depending on what magic I can work up.

For now though, it’s staying at home in Essex as the MOT is due on the 18th October and haven’t get the time right now to get it done. I said in the first post that it was till November but upon checking I realised that the date was October. So for now, the project is in shut-down until I decide what to do.

Any views, hints, how-to guides or advice would be appreciated right now.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2009, 19:53 »
It’s November, so anyone who has read this thread all the way through will know that I’ve been planning a bit of engine work from the start. Thankfully, I have begun the arduous task of getting the cylinder head off. But first a quick brief on what happened since the last post.

I’ve done nothing. The car has been sat at home in Essex, with all the parts too. I came back home on leave on the 14th and since then have managed to buy a decent tool kit and researched the options for my car in a bit more detail.

So, the final plan is this. I’m going to re-build the cylinder head, replace all the belts, fit a gear linkage kit with the selector arms and everything, all engine mounts, new filters bar the air filter and then leave it again. I haven’t got insurance anymore as it expired and didn’t renew it.

So anyway, today I made a start on getting the engine apart. I started with cleaning, as you do, and took the battery and screen wash bottle out. I found that all underneath these was some sort of putty that was covered in dirt, grease and oil. It’s everywhere so gave up scrapping it off and will wait till the next holiday of mine to strip the engine bay back to bare and properly clean it all out.

Next, I moved onto the main job which was getting the cylinder head off. I won’t bore everyone with the details but long and short of it is that old cars put up a fight. Several bolts are rounding off nicely and I don’t have any power tools so I’m forced to stop again and wait till I can acquire some from my uncle. Hopefully, tomorrow will gift me with some more tools and then work will continue.

No pictures today as most of us can imagine what a mark 2 engine bay looks like with no battery, screen wash bottle, ait intake or dizzy cap and leads. There will be pictures and more write ups to follow over the next few days.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2009, 20:25 »
Right, a few photos and a small update of the work carried out so far.

The engine bay after yesterday’s work.

Today, I managed to crack on and get down to the point of removing the cylinder head bolts. Work has now stopped again as I’m waiting for the tool to remove the exhaust clamps, hoping that it’ll turn up in the post tomorrow and work.

The engine bay now, although the cam belt is now away from the cylinder head pulley.

« Last Edit: 23 November 2009, 20:29 by MikeMaher205 »