Author Topic: 0-60 times golf3 20 8v  (Read 20645 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re:0-60 times golf3 20 8v
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2004, 15:59 »
erm i hate to piss in all your cornflakes, but we dont need to work out where its innacurate, cos theres no way it does it in under 9.5 secs without a 100bhp shot od nos ;D

Offline lowgolf

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2004, 16:09 »
My cars the slowest on the site. But at least it doesnt look like a barge! I dont argue all day thats its fast because its not. Why u all so eager to shave tenths of seconds of the 0-62. The MK3 8v is slow. Face the facts.
Yes Black_GTi i am a P?n!$ before you start shouting your mouth off. But go and buy a faster car if u want to go to 62 in under 9
<br /><br />Yeah!!!

Offline jte

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2004, 16:22 »
Yes Black_GTi i am a P?n!$ before you start shouting your mouth off. But go and buy a faster car if u want to go to 62 in under 9

He's only 19 blah blah blah

Can't get insurance blah blah blah

;)

A VR6 isn't a way of life, it's just a car.

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 April 2004, 17:39 »
He's only 19 blah blah blah

Can't get insurance blah blah blah

WTF is that supposed to mean??? U think I USE that as an EXCUSE???  U REALLY THINK THAT?

HOW OLD R U?.... *EDIT* 21 .. 21!! I bought my car when I was 18 FFS I wanted a GTI, I wanted another VW I wanted quality .. I paid what my car was worth, I paid my extorsionate insurance premium ... u come here acting all big and bad with ya VR6 woooo Ive got a VR6 cos its engine size makes up for my p?n!s size...  :-* k!ss my a$$

What did u drive when u were 18? ...

But at least it doesnt look like a barge

Now ur just dissing EVERYONES mk3 .. cos they all look very similar.. different alloys and thats about it.

I dont argue all day

And the last time i argued was ... hmmmm .... hmmmm ...hmmmm

... thing is ... u slag my and others' mk3 off just then... yet your registered to a GTI forum ... and u dont drive one?

U shouldnt be slagging anything off...
« Last Edit: 13 April 2004, 17:41 by Black_GTI »

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl

Offline Bodhi

• GTI forum regular
  • Please make those nasty VR6 owners go away....
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2004, 17:46 »
8.7 sounds about right if you nail the getaway and change up at the right time, and whatever you do DON'T CHANGE INTO THIRD  - I managed 9-10 on a personal 0-60 run (time is very vague as I was using the play counter on my CD player), however this was in the wet and the front wheels didn't get traction til about 20-30mph. I'd say my time was a tad higher than normal - I'm pretty sure I didn't start the car at the exact time I skipped to the next track (slightly after in all honesty), and as I said, the amount of wheelspin I had was less than ideal. I know for a fact the speedo in my car is accurate - it was reading 124 the other day on the M74 when the acceleration stopped - so there's no question of it not being 60mph I hit.  The 8v will easily do it in less than 10 seconds standard, and with a decent driver can probably break 9. It'll do it without falling apart aswell, unlike those oh so new Mk2's you see knocking about (surely if Mk2 owners invade the mk 3 forum to give abuse, we can give abuse back yeah?).

Which honestly makes me wonder where the hell this notion that the 8v is a slow car came from. Anything under 9 seconds is pretty fast (sub 7 is really fast imo), and keep the motor spinning between 3000 and 6000 and you can really make some progress. It's only slow if you try and floor it when you're in completely the wrong gear for the situation (like trying to go uphill from 45mph in 5th), knock it down a gear or two and you're presented with some pretty solid urge. On a country road it's a veritable overtaking machine, which can never ever be said of a slow car (and I know I spent 4 years trying to overtake everything in sight in one - I like the fact that the 8v doesn't need a 4 car length run up to slingshot past, just drop it to 3rd or even 2nd and blast past.

edit// By the way can we be clear about one thing? It's a 0-60 time, not a bloody 0-62. That's for Europeans. And last time I looked we weren't in a European super-state just yet.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2004, 17:49 by Bodhi »
1997 Tornado Red GTi 8v - The Fastest HotBox on Fife's roads.

Modifications -

1 x Kenwood KDC-7024M
1 x Dull Aluminium Golf Ball Gearknob. Clearly worth about 10bhp on its own.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2004, 17:47 »
arthur ucksake, give it a rest  ::)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Bodhi

• GTI forum regular
  • Please make those nasty VR6 owners go away....
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2004, 18:02 »
Oh yeah I forgot, standing up for a Golf GTI at www.golfgti.co.uk is bang out of order!
1997 Tornado Red GTi 8v - The Fastest HotBox on Fife's roads.

Modifications -

1 x Kenwood KDC-7024M
1 x Dull Aluminium Golf Ball Gearknob. Clearly worth about 10bhp on its own.

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 13 April 2004, 18:10 »
if you'll look back you'll see it started off being nothing to do with gti's...

look back and see who threw the first personal insult... ** as per usual **

Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline golf3 20lt 8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 13 April 2004, 18:34 »
the 8.5 was achieved but driven properly.  when i pushed to the higher revs in each gear the times are around 10 sec.  changing up at around 4000 revs in each gear, allows the car to pull in each gear. you then should get around 8.5.  if you push it in every gear youll take ages to get to sixty because youll the 8 valve engine has a torque range lower down the rev range essentially youll change gear and miss the 8v power.  the faster you try too drive it ie revving the f*&k out of it the the slower youll go because you miss the power band.  this is the main difference between the two engines (16v) the 16 needs to be driven like a b!tch whereas the 8v is smooth power and pretty quick. nobody claiming its the fastest car in the world! and let me tell you something nobodys car here is the that fast. theres only a 9th of a sec between the golf 3 range thats a good gear change and knowing how to get the most out of your particular vehicle. and by the way the golf is not a sports car its still cool as f*7k and very special but its not an out and out racing car its a quick grand tourer yeah you can modify but is the same car in the end?  in perf vw they have golfs that can hit sixty in 3.14secs wich is cool but is that the point of owning a gti, probably not. buy the way it is safe to assume that my speedo is correct otherwise id have a few more speed camera fines than i have.  as i said originally this wasnt a scientific test but it is safe to assume that the results are true give or take a small amount, dont give me 10% speedo bollx, yes there will be a small descarepancy but keep it real my friends its going to be marginal.  also definatley no mods in car.

Omar

« Reply #29 on: 13 April 2004, 18:46 »
.........me thinks we need a seperate 8v sub-section within this mk3 section.

Children throwing their toys out of the pram every time they get a wif on an insult, gets very tiresome indeed.

O