Author Topic: SOME LED SWAP PICS, not the best pics tho!!!  (Read 21375 times)

kells

SOME LED SWAP PICS, not the best pics tho!!!
« on: 01 December 2007, 22:31 »

Thought id pop these pics up, some of the later ones are bad pics as was taken using a camera phone and with the new LEDs been so bright i just could not focus on them at all, but trust me in real life they look awesome and super bright!!

SEE MY LATER REPLY WITH UPDATED PICS.. BLUE MAF SCREENS !!

Got these clocks instead of the standard blacks

front cover and needles off

dials off, strange as these are 1 piece and made of metal, my standards were a 4 piece kit.
tried all sorts to remove the white plastic to get to the lcd displays, it didnt wanna know, these are sealed units on the late spec dials, my black ones had bolts so you could remove the lcd displays!!

Warning lights cover

removed the cover, these are the SMD's i have ringed in yellow, my old black clocks had normal twist bulbs here and could be replaced easy, these Cannot be user replaced... these are also under the LCD displays somewhere.

Unfortunatly i never took pics of the work i did, but here i have marked in yellow where i drilled holes and installed the Blue and UV Leds, i soldered these to the 2 metal strips on the back of the dails (the inside strip is positive)

20th Anniversary Clocks in car with the mileage reset from 68k to my current mileage of 90k

here they are lit, really hard to take pics of them with a crap camera phone so im sorry for all the next pics!!
they have more UV colour in person and that dont show in any pics for some reason, it just shows the blue

Dimmed them a bit to try gain a bit of focus...didnt really work

Heater controls / rear heated screen switch

Rear ashtray, first pic is of it unlit, and as its so hard to see what the hell is going on in the second pic of it, the light goes under the white dot, and basically illuminates this and a panel that lights the inside of the ashtray

Electric Window and Electric mirror switch

]

Sunroof switch, i had to take this with flash on as they are so bright it just looks like a dot if not hahah :grin:

Got the Cabrio 3.5 RED head light switch on its way, had to get this from the main steeler, was expensive but needed it and with the front / rear fog option...for those that dont already know, the normal switch cannot be fully converted as the green on some of the logos is painted on from the inside, iv had a spare switch in bits and seen it, u can however use nail varnish remover but if yout not careful it will take off the black too, which u wont realise till u switch on your lights...

should be here any day
« Last Edit: 13 December 2007, 23:16 by kells »

Offline CHRIS_MC

• I live here
  • GHETTO GHOLFER
Re: SOME LED SWAP PICS, not the best pics tho!!!
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2007, 22:44 »
nice fiddling :wink:, heater panel looks mint

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2007, 11:02 »
that looks really good mate, top job!  :cool:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2007, 11:51 »
this looks awesome!!  :grin:

Offline carpetmonster

• GTI forum regular
  • carpetmonster 16v keep it retro
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2007, 12:17 »
I like that alot,where can i buy some of thoughs leds,very impressed.

kells

« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2007, 12:36 »
thanx for the comments, i forgot to mention, on the clocks on a mk3 you have a green filter that runs along the top of the clocks (near the 2 standard bulbs) this pulls out and i replace with a frosted clear strip, this gives a even light transfer. :cool:

seriously though these pics do not do it justice, it looks fantastic in person, the dials look superb, when i first plugged them in (it was like midnight haha) i actually said out loud "WOW" haha

i got the bulbs from a place in Germany called BlauerTacho, these guys do them for all cars although when u get them they are just bags of leds with some not so great instructions which in all honesty i didnt use, it was kind of figure it for myself, not hard really at all, their site is here: http://stores.ebay.de/BlauerTacho4u

i also got some leds from this guy, they were 99p for 10, but they didnt come with resistors(the german ones did)
these were handy for spares incase anything went wrong:  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120130699544&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002

Offline G60GTI16V

• I live here
  • GTI Mk1, 2, 3, 4 now VRS Hell Yea!
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2007, 13:09 »
im an electronic repair engineer, i could do some for people if they supply the dials and a bit of cash... and to there own spec colours to

Offline CHRIS_MC

• I live here
  • GHETTO GHOLFER
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2007, 13:27 »
im an electronic repair engineer, i could do some for people if they supply the dials and a bit of cash... and to there own spec colours to

so am i :grin:.....and i'l beat his price, (only jokin'...i wouldnt have the time to so it, it took me long enough to do my own)

ive done me mkII, it is a refreshing change to see them all blue, especially the electric window switches.....

kells

« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2007, 13:39 »

just replied to your pm mate...haha didnt realise your were a electronic repair engineer, so forgive me if i came across in my pm as though u had not done this sort of thing before
« Last Edit: 02 December 2007, 13:41 by kells »

kells

Re: SOME LED SWAP PICS, UPDATED PICS AND DIY
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2007, 23:15 »
HERES THE UPDATED PICS

not the best pics as taken on a crap camera but here is a bit of a DIY on how to change the MAF/MILEAGE LCD display colour on late spec dials which are sealed and have NO FILTER

First remove this plactic cover from the circuit board, theirs just 1 screw in the top left as you look down on the dials (before you do this you need to remove the needles and the dial faces, very easy the faces just clip off, and for the needles use a kitchen fork)

Here is the reverse of the circuit board, the yellow highlights 13 solder points which hold each of the LCD screens in place, you need to DE SOLDER all 26 of these pins, be very carefull doing this and remove all old solder or the pins will not budge, take your time!!
theirs some plastic clips too but they are childs play :)

then you are left with the two bits seperated

Now you can see the inside of the circuit board, the top highlited bits are the pins you have just DE soldered and the bottom highlighted bits are the CHIP LEDS which as standard are green, these are tack soldered on and are a fiddle, i had to use some jewelry pliers to hold them in place as i re tacked on the blue chip leds, in the pic is the blue ones iv re fitted...not a bad job if i do say so myself :)

here is a pic of the plactic bit you have removed (this is the bit that has the pins on it and the glass for the screens, iv highlighted the pins that go through the circuit board which you have just de soldered)

The illusive Chip Leds can be seen here, iv put these next to my keys just so you can see how tiny these are... you need a steady hand to work with these, they are plasic so burn if the soldering iron touch them..so go steady

now we put it all back together in reverse of how you took it to bits,  be VERY carefull when you attach both the platic cover and circuit board together as the pins can easily miss their holes and bend, this is why its important to remove all old solder

We are now BLUE, but as you can see they are so bright i cant get focus at all, trust me these are bright as hell and look amazing and super clear to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  well worth the hard work

here they are using the flash, you can still see how blue they are with the flash on

cant get focus on the displays at all, this is with them dimmed a little too, you cant see the mileage and time on the pics but can in person, they are superb

Took this with the flash turned on just so you can see the displays better

Red headlight switch :)

sunroof toggle switch

But at the mo im rocking the later type Button switch (thanx to the salvage mk 4 clocks for the red chip leds)
these use the exact same type chip leds as the ones iv used in the LCD displays, i had to use red warning ones out of some mk 4 clocks i got hold of :)

Lookin good :)

will get some close up pics of the dials with my camera when i get a mo, this is a wicked mod and i cant belive how good they look, non of the pictures do any of this justice
« Last Edit: 13 December 2007, 23:23 by kells »