Author Topic: Bleeding the coolant system  (Read 24114 times)

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
Bleeding the coolant system
« on: 08 January 2011, 22:06 »
Just a quick rant really...

Why didnt vw include a bleed nipple in the coolant system?? in the rad or wherever easiest..

Just a pain trying to bleed the system, have done it plenty of times for my mk3 and wish there was one installed..

waiting, squeezing hoses....

Brian

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Bleeding the coolant system
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2011, 22:27 »
yeah recently done mine, new rad and new coolant, makes ya finger ache dont it hahaha

did u idle with the coolant bottle cap off ?

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline lankylari

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2011, 22:40 »
just changed the thermostat on my mk3 gti and air bloke in system found had no heat inside car, right sh**er. :angry:.
i got around it by pulling the heater matrix hose from the bulk head. ( one was cold and one was hot) with the coolant cap off and engine running pulled off the cold hose, at bulkhead slightly rev and haho! when water came out refitted hose topped up coolant. job done. give it a go worked for me?

Christo77

« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2011, 07:35 »
With this job it's too easy to pour in the new coolant in a hurry, always refill slowly! with mine i purged any air out at the top hose to block, just by holding it partly on while doing the job, then as coolant appeared, presto!  But you can leave the cap off overnight, that can do the trick also, remember to replace cap before driving off in the morning though!

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2011, 14:18 »
The easiest way I have found is to remove the top hose from the radiator and then put the hose pipe in the coolant reservoir. Leave it ten minutes with the water running so the water comes out the top hose. Then while the water is still running reconnect the top hose and quickly remoe the hose pipe. This will ensure all the air is out of the system. Then start the engine and leave it ticking over with the reservoir cap off. Also massage the radiator hoses while it's running. Then when the engine has warmed up and the fan kicks in replace the reservoir cap and job's done.  :cool:

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2011, 15:46 »
>Just a pain trying to bleed the system, have done it plenty of times for my mk3 and wish there was one installed..
done it a few time to a few different vehicles - and never had a problem with the mk3 - always found it dead easy.   just run the engine with the expansion cap off.  Unlike the mk1 punto the wife used to have - which airlocked into the heat exchanger every time. (being a Fiat it had its coolant system repaired (t-stat, pump, rad, etc) several times)
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2011, 11:30 »
they didnt include a bleed nipple because you dont need one! simply remove the cap and run it from cold, every now & again rev engine to 1.5k ish to get the coolant flowing.  just as the coolant level starts to rise/boil stop the engine and put the cap on, job done.

if this method doesnt work then there is something wrong with your coolant system, either weak waterpump or the thin pipe to the top of the header tank is blocked. whenever you rev the engien you should see a flow of coolant/bubbles to the top thin hose at the header tank, if not theres a problem.

on the 16v MK3 hole between the top hose and the thin pipe to rad is tiny so they are often clogged up! not sure on the VR6 but assume it might be the same. 8v have no problems as the hole on the front flange is much larger.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2011, 11:35 »
they didnt include a bleed nipple because you dont need one! simply remove the cap and run it from cold, every now & again rev engine to 1.5k ish to get the coolant flowing.  just as the coolant level starts to rise/boil stop the engine and put the cap on, job done.

Agreed

Exactly the way i always do mine

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Djmac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2013, 12:41 »
Is there a specific coolant anyone would advise?

Offline vr6D4v3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2013, 13:21 »
I have drained my coolant about 4 times recently due to leaks then sorting then finding another leak and so on. I always just poured the coolant mixture into the resevoir with the ignition switched on, not engine running and as soon as the level stabalises in the bottle then I would fill to the max mark or just over and switch engine on. Leave to run for a few mins with engine running with cap off sorted, top up if need be then switch off and recheck a couple of hours later. This way has worked every time and thats on a vr6.

Ive used carplan red antifreeze as it says its conformed to g12 so thats good enough for me.