Author Topic: All you MK3 people with problems...  (Read 31433 times)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
Re: All you MK3 people with problems...
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2005, 23:41 »
i've heard that problem before.. sure its been posted.. do a search.. or wait for someone to say how they fixed :)
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline davero

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2005, 23:46 »
has it been on vag-com during problem, typical symptoms of coil in most cars, dont know about vw as it has not happened to me YET!!

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2005, 12:29 »
Here is a scan of the 'quick fix' guide they printed in Performance VW May '04

http://www.rollinondubs.net/overseer/Golf%20GTI%2016v/PVW_MK3_Fixes.jpg
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2005, 11:11 »

HEre is a new one I have properly sorted my stuttering and rough idle.

Discovered a week or so ago unplugging the MAF made the car run fine although cut out on idle.

I removed the 'hotwires' from the maf and discovered they were caked in crap. a little dribble of petrol and a cotton bud later they are looking like new. Put them back in, the car chugged for 30 seconds then smoothed out. It now runs absolutely perfect.

So there was no needs for 2 x diagnostics, coil, relays, ECU reset, Lambda sensor, HT's Plugs, dizzy, rotor arm, injector cleaned, throttle body cleaning and probably loads of other stuff I have forgot!!

Might not work for everyone but at least give it a go before replacing things.

Going to putthe car up for sale now so whoever gets it will never have any electrical probs, ive replaced more or less the whole lot!!!!!!

Offline gti turbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2005, 20:22 »
alright bofins sounds a good idea. will scout through  pvw for any mk3 solutions to problems. But while I am here does anyone know, which sensor is knakered on my gti 8 V that is making my thermostat light flash constantly. cheers

Offline pete999

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 05 March 2005, 15:04 »
Here is a scan of the 'quick fix' guide they printed in Performance VW May '04

http://www.rollinondubs.net/overseer/Golf%20GTI%2016v/PVW_MK3_Fixes.jpg
        :smiley:  WELL DONE THANKS for the idea. I managed to work this out myself. Have just cleaned out TVB the butterfly part/the breathing pipes from the sump/the onefrom the cam cover. They were not too bad/but had the usuall build up on them. Me thinks that as quoted. "the throttle positioner/potentiometer.does not see the valve closed or closed correctly and stalls the motor. The pipes being choked or holed, upsets what should be the idle mixture. thence stall again on approach to idle.  ALL IS WELL with my car..do drop me a note if you can not make out what i mean. Pete.

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2005, 20:30 »
k here's one

I have a mk2 what the best way to sell it and get a decent car like a mk3? :evil:
« Last Edit: 24 March 2005, 21:35 by mrwotto »
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2005, 22:06 »
or the best way to get rid of a mod with too much time on his hands.

This is war!! :evil:
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2005, 13:50 »
Which Mod has got Too Much time on HER hands!????? :tongue:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline sss

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2005, 10:02 »
just remembered 2 more minor ones.

1.. erratic idling.. cleaning out the ISV (Idle Stablisation valve) helped. if this is shot it can need replacing. very easy to do, but if its knackered the part can cost upwards of ?250.

2.. uumm.. bodged car? lol.. someone had bodged a hose connection that comes out from under the ISV (from middle of the manifold on a 16v) the hose just tied off, it was meant to feed under and into the box directly to the left of where it comes out (cant remember what this is)

Hi Overseer,
I think i have the problem you describe in number 1, where can i find this valve exactly ?  cheers