Author Topic: New Member looking to convert MK3 8v to 1.8 20v Turbo  (Read 27435 times)

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
Re: New Member looking to convert MK3 8v to 1.8 20v Turbo
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2010, 09:46 »
Thanks allot for all your help mate,  :cool:

Do the 1.8ts run the reverse clutch like the 8v? what's a good updated clutch u recommend? does the 1.8t retain its flywheel and clutch with the 16v box?

Cheers

Andy

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2010, 10:08 »
Run the 16v/G60 flywheel and a sachs VR6 clutch. You will need a few bolts to convert to a single mass flywheel. I will put this info in the thread that I'm making.

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2010, 10:26 »
great thanks mate  :grin:

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2010, 10:31 »
I need to put something together really. They can ignore the QPeng stuff if they want go down another route but there would be lots of other useful info. Just can't be a$$ed :D

...as will many who want a hassle free install, and don't mind paying.
The more info, the more options there are to suit more budgets.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2010, 10:39 »
OK I will put something together.

O2A diesel box, code CTN or ASD, all the other O2A boxes are too short. I have a 16v box. I get no crunching, just gotta make sure you keep the clutch in when you shift! Gearbox can handle it.

Differing view:
There is no way I'd run a diesel 'box...I'd want a 16v 'box at the very least, with the standard 3.67 FD...
If it were me, I'd fit a 3.94 to 16v ratios.
I can't see the point of having something high geared...but, that's down to the roads it'll be driven on.

Currently, I'm running 190+ BHP with a 4.2 FD on 16v ratios!

Different strokes for different folks...

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2010, 10:47 »
I find the 16v box too short for me. Especially 1st, 2nd and 5th. The diesel box ratios look like they would suit me better

kells

« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2010, 13:43 »
I find the 16v box too short for me. Especially 1st, 2nd and 5th. The diesel box ratios look like they would suit me better

Alot of folk i talk to about my conversion say go Derv box too mate...

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2010, 14:31 »
Hi kells, 

Is the derv box option better that the box fitted to the AGU in the MK4? from reading on here the hydro clutch conversion doesnt look too hard and i guess it would be best to retain the MK4 box.  Does this bolt up ok with 16v mounts?

Have you competed your conversion?, if so how did you find the wiring?  I'm quite put off the qpeng stuff after reading about the lack of knock sensor.  Im keen to keep the original AGU management but totally lost in regards to the clocks, immobilizer, keys and the wiring/combining looms in general.

:huh:

Thanks

Andy

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2010, 14:39 »
Mk4 box won't bolt straight in I don't think, hence why using the Mk3 box makes sense as the internals are the same and you can still run hydro clutch if you want.

Knock sensors can suck my balls. The main reason OEM management is better is you can still plug it in to vag com. Bear in mind its not an easy task wiring it in!

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2010, 14:49 »
as said by LL the reason ppl go for the 16v box is the mounts are already there, the mk4 box etc need a different bell housing.

regarding the 2nd gear crunching etc, this is a common problem with the 8v boxes as they are pretty weak, but the 16v boxes dont suffer from this

and regarding the oe management being hard to wire, meh i'll cross that bridge when I come to it :P how hard can it be its just a load of wires! :grin: there are a few quides that cover it if you search around, think its only 4 or 5 wires you need to splice together, most of the work is removing crap you dont need :)

Im done with this topic now, thinking about my engine just reminds me how poor i am :P
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0