Author Topic: Got broken into last night - how to replace rear quarter glass?  (Read 16790 times)

Offline Iron Tam

• Not said much yet
Came out this morning to find some scroat had smashed the quarter-light glass on the rear passenger door. Angry at finding nothing to steal (not even the old Sony CD player is worth stealing). The toe-rag spotted the glove-box.

Now, my dad broke the latch on the glove-box and I've been meaning to fix it for over a year. But our little div didn't know that, and mistakenly thinking it was locked, (and therefore must contain valuables) he set about trying to open it with a screwdriver.

Unsuccessfully.

But did leave me with deep furrows in my dashboard.  :cry:

Taped up some cardboard over the hole and swept up the mess. Intend to phone the police (to keep their stats correct) and plan a trip to the scrappy in the morning to find a replacement. So, a couple of quick questions:

• Is it an easy one to replace? (I've never done glass before). Does anyone have a guide on the best way to fit a new one?
  • Is the rear quarter-light the same size on the mk3 & mk4? (Would give me a bigger pool to choose from).

Thanks, Tam.

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
pretty easy, dont think mk4 is the same but theres plenty of mk3s in scrappys, remove trim from inside door, undo glass clamps+ remove main glass from top, the vertical metal bar that seperates the main + quater glass is held in by a screw at the top hidden in between the rubber, then remove + replace

Offline Iron Tam

• Not said much yet
Cheers axewielder.

Of course, It'll be whatever I do to get it out the donor vehicle, in reverse!

Offline Walkerboy

• I live here
yer watch out 4 the hidden screw as the other dude said.oh make sure its the rite colour also as ur get home wack it in,then c the difference

kells

screw can be a bar steward so use a decent driver.

Offline Iron Tam

• Not said much yet
Cheers for the heads up RE the screw, came in handy...

Jings! That wasn't easy!

Found a Vento of the correct vintage and liberated a rear-quarter window. That was the easy part. Fitting it took a lot of wriggling, swearing and vaseline.

A lot of vaseline.

kells

yeah they can be a pain, i had to do one of mine, i managed without any aid of lube tho haha..  that sounds a lil bad  :laugh:

Offline FlySpeck

• GTI forum regular
put a length of cord / string around (into) the seal gap, put the tails of the string inside, get an assistant to keep light pressure on the window from outside, pull the string ends inward and then around, lube helps them not to tear the rubber. Pulling the string pulls the seal in over the body hole edges, bingo, one fitted window and no swearing required lol

Offline Jon Gathercole

• Just got here
Hi. After wrestling with this problem for hours (and coming across this post) I realised there is another way to fit the rear quarter window. Remove the main window and the separator as instructed above, then peel away the whole surround. Ensure that the groove is clear of glass, then insert the new rear quarter window into the rear portion of the surround. Ease the whole assembly backwards into the door aperture, then feed the front part of the surround back into place, starting along the bottom edge (which is rigid). Finish with the front and top edges of the surround. The whole process takes only a couple of minutes. Once the quarter window is in place, re-insert the main glass and the separator, and reassemble the door trim. Hope this helps someone!