Author Topic: golf mk3 1.4 air box question..............  (Read 18909 times)

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
Re: golf mk3 1.4 air box question..............
« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2009, 13:46 »

The ABD can be easilly tuned to put out around 120 bhp btw

i would be intrested to know what would need doing to it to produce these figures? is it something you have done yourself or just hearsay? as the response i have had on my other thread on what can be done to tune a 1.4 abd has recieved a solid " nothing " lol

polo gt digifant multi point injection fitted with poloace remapped chip, ported throttle body, schrick 268 cam + ported head, golf gti airflow meter, 4 branch exhaust and good quality exhaust.  It might not produce exactly 120 bhp, but it wont be far off.
Loads of polo owners use the ADB block to gain extra torque from their polo gts.

A similar build can be done using the 1.6 AEE, main thing this will gain is a bit more bhp and extra torque, though it is a less revvy engine and the dont take as much abuse

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 25 August 2009, 13:52 »
Of course a fully race tuned 1.4 can put out 120bhp but will cost a fortune, why waste your money when a bog standard 8 valve gti can match that with extra torque and better brakes etc, and will your race tuned 1.4 be cheaper on insurance not sure.  :undecided:

is this based on fact or just what you have read? an 8 valve gti is hardly fast, my polo gt would give it a run for its money, and my g40 would blow it clean out of the water.  (the reason i know this, is that ive also got a mk3 golf fitted with the 2 litre 8v gti engine)

tuning the small bore vw engines is far more common than a majority of blinkered golf owners appear to realise!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #22 on: 25 August 2009, 13:57 »
as I always say, why build something that is already there?

Why tune a 1.4? its rivals will be corsa SXI and saxo VTS.....Now, if you tune a gti 16v or a VR6, then its rivals will be cars that are actually worth competing against. Tuning a small engine like that is pointless mate, don't bother wasting ANY money on it.

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 25 August 2009, 14:22 »
^ you could use that reason for anything, why buy a golf and tune it, when the total amount spent could have bought you a better car in the 1st place!?
would i bother spending a small fortune tuning my polo g40?
of course i wouldnt.  it would be pointless, for the cost i could have just gone out and done the logical thing a bought a raddo g60 instead.

to many engine tuners a 2 litre is a small engine, and therfore by your own admission would be pointless to tune!
« Last Edit: 25 August 2009, 14:40 by g40jon »

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #24 on: 25 August 2009, 14:25 »
yes but I'm talking within VW world. Of course if you spent what some people have spent on their cars you could buy a BMW or merc, or even better :smiley:

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 25 August 2009, 14:45 »
the point im trying to make is that there are things worth doing that dont cost a fortune to do, yet do make a big difference to a cars performance.  a classic example would be of the g60, where people fit a smaller pulley and uprated ecu chip.  costs naf all and give a good gain.
i wasnt saying the guy with the abd should go the whole hog with tuning it.  I was merely stating that the engine is capable of producing suprising power figures.
Someone suggested dropping the ABU or AEE block in instead.  Why bother? its only 15bhp up on the ABD  now that really would be a wasted effort when you could get 15 bhp more out of the abd for a lot less work

gtigolfthree

« Reply #26 on: 25 August 2009, 16:32 »
Of course a fully race tuned 1.4 can put out 120bhp but will cost a fortune, why waste your money when a bog standard 8 valve gti can match that with extra torque and better brakes etc, and will your race tuned 1.4 be cheaper on insurance not sure.  :undecided:

is this based on fact or just what you have read? an 8 valve gti is hardly fast, my polo gt would give it a run for its money, and my g40 would blow it clean out of the water.  (the reason i know this, is that ive also got a mk3 golf fitted with the 2 litre 8v gti engine)

tuning the small bore vw engines is far more common than a majority of blinkered golf owners appear to realise!

Your talking rubbish mate a polo is only half the weight of a mk3 golf the o/p was talking about tuning a 1.4 mk3 not a polo which is why we advise against and a standard 8 valve will be faster than a tuned 1.4 as it has more torque. Stick a 2e lump in you little polo and see how fast it is.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2009, 16:41 by gtigolfthree »

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 26 August 2009, 08:11 »
a polo weighs around 850kg, a mk3 golf weighs 1100 kg, so the difference in weight is a couple of fat people.  a 1400 abd tuned the the spec i listed will put out in excess of 100 lb/foot of torque, which correct me if im wrong, isnt that far off std 2L 8v torque figures.
If you had bothered to read the whole thread rather than throwing your toys out of the pram, you would have read that I was not advising the person who started the thread to go out and do any of this stuff.  He asked how the 120 bhp was achieved from an abd and I told him, nothing more, nothing less.  You could probably apply similar tuning tecniques to the 2L 8V, but it would be pointless, as you would struggle to exceed std 16v power, same could be said of the 16v when compared with the vr6 too.  if your gonna spend big money tuning, you might aswell use the best engine offered in the chosen model.
The 2e or any other tall block for that matter won't fit in a polo, without spending 2k on a subframe, even then it wont be any quicker than a std g40 and it certainly won't handle any better, due to all that extra weight up front.
heres what my stock polo g40 put out a few months back

7bhp and 9 lb/foot more than a std 2 litre 8v

gtigolfthree

« Reply #28 on: 26 August 2009, 09:42 »
 They power figures that could be anything, if you read my orininal thread I did concede that 120bhp was possible with a full race tune, but really expensive and not drivable off the track, I still dispute whether you will get the same torque as a 2.0L and in a mk3 because of the weight I would rather start with at least a 2.0L with the exception of a 1.8T as the 2.0L is tunable and the 1.4 quite frankly is ok for going to Tescos.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 26 August 2009, 12:53 »
The ABD engine produces 60bhp as standard.
Is it just me that thinks getting 120bhp out of that lump is not possible without some form of forced induction?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS