Author Topic: DTUK or TDI Tuning  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Bigbadbobbie

• Just got here
DTUK or TDI Tuning
« on: 28 April 2014, 20:03 »
I appreciate that the above mentioned tuning box/ re map companies do sponsor this forum but can someone give me an impartial recommendation on which company to go with? When I say "go with" I mean which company to buy a CRDT 2 tuning box from.

Carbon Grey metallic GTD, 5Dr, Dynaudio, Rear seat airbag upgrade.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: DTUK or TDI Tuning
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2014, 20:22 »
I'm one of the few (maybe the only one here) who has tried both. The TDI-tuning box had a savage delivery of power, rough idling and lumpy performance that saw me able to spin the wheels in 3rd at 65mph when I put my foot down. I had more regens than normal, and my indicated mpg became 16% optimistic. All of these points lead me to believe that the TDI-tuning box massively overfuels when you put your foot down. I was not impressed and sent mine back.

The DTUK box on the other hand is smooth and progressive, delivering linear power increases, no rough idling, less optimistic gains in MFD indicated mpg (9%) optimistic (vs 3% optimistic without a box), and dyno proven gains you can see on the website. It was handy being close to DTUK for a personal visit to the place to try out the goods, although that won't be possible for many. No wheelspin in 3rd at speed means more usable and predictable power. It feels like stock with a 27% gain across the range.

No contest for me, DTUK every time.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bigbadbobbie

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2014, 20:52 »
Yikes the TDI box sounds nasty. Did you try all the settings on the TDI box? Has anyone else had a crap TDI tuning box experience?
Carbon Grey metallic GTD, 5Dr, Dynaudio, Rear seat airbag upgrade.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2014, 21:06 »
It has settings 1 to 7 on the TDI-tuning box. Setting 4 had noticeable gains, felt like 10-12% over stock, setting 7 was a beast. Delivery was not progressive.

I asked for a refund on the grounds that delivery of power rendered the box unusable until you were in 4th at 70mph. They asked me to give it a try after "adjustments", which I did. It seemed that they just chopped the power in half, reworked setting 7 was like original setting 4. It negated the traction issues by halving the gains - pointless.

The edge it had was being the first dual channel box out for the GTD, but the DTUK box feels like the finished article to me.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline bobwas4

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2014, 18:48 »
I haven't tried the tdi tuning box but the dtuk item is very versatile. I have a stage 2 kit on my gtd punching out 240bhp. but its not over harsh power delivery, very smooth and no problem with idol. I have 4 different torque/ power bands in my box and I find low rev power band much smoother and useable especially wet conditions. 

I wouldn't rule out tdi tuning but I haven't used it, the customer service from dtuk is absolutely amazing, id pic them just for their absolute helpfulness. :D
VW golf GTD MK7 5dr white
VWR sport springs
DTUK CRD-T stage II