Author Topic: STUPID CABS [long winded but i need advice]  (Read 3385 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
STUPID CABS [long winded but i need advice]
« on: 12 September 2007, 19:11 »
Don't you just HATE it when you set off to start something and then it ends up being a multitude of problems?!

I guess all mk1 owners will agree with me 2! (possibly mk2 owners too cos i remember my mk2)

Well what started innocently as me removing the rear bench from the cab to clean the seats properly and get to the whole door car to clean them ended up as a 7 and a bit hour stint on the cab!

So i removed the rear bench and cleaned under it (sad i know) and cleaned out most of the crap that was down the sides - 21 years of muck and dust and such. Such an icky job! It was once i had done this i realised that you could see where i had cleaned the door cards, so i attempt to give them a clean all over just for the sake of it. But knowing that some of the leather look stuff on the doorcards (orig) was sticking out i thought i'd remove them and restick them t the backing.
This was no problem at all, panel pins came out great (and back in) that was until i found this behind my door cards...
SIDE 1

SIDE 2

Notice that one of the 6x4 speakers is held on with no screws just black gunk! Which i removed see below!

Left with some lovely clear gaps i thought i'd scrap the idea of running speakers to there, but i might try the 6x4's in the doors, as i hav the pockets for them :)
NICE!!!

I tested the speakers to find that only one appears to work, which is fine, one 6x4 is better than none.
[IF ANYONE WANTS TO DONATE A 6X4 SPEAKER THEN PLEASE DO - OR EVEN A PAIR!]

Seeing as one speaker works i thought i'd have a go at wiring it in.. which is great although i have bits of wires where i shouldnt!!! This was unsuccessful, after what should have been a painstaking successful attempt, but it appears wires that are behind head unit do not travel the doors, even though colours match etc. e.g wires had been cut at the door opening hinge - why .. god knows, but after connecting these i thought i was cooking on gas...
I was wrong.. what do you expect when your dash looks like this...

^^^ what is the tube?!?!?

so i thought i'd get the glove box out, and see where wires go and see if i can wire the speaker into the left hand side :)
Glovebox lid was a piece of piddle... four screws and i pulled the hinge and it came loose :D i wasnt aware that there a spring. but now i am! LOL. Remove all bolts i could see from lock base etc, now just to remove the lower tray HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT!?  answers on a postcard please!!! I rang two people i was sure would know.. who both told me they had no idea... GREAT!

Needless to say i gave up! Poopers!

YES it would have been easier to run a new set of wires.. but i thought i was saving myself some time! Needless to say i have plenty of time with having no job and a student loan arriving soon!!!

Tomorrows job figure out how to run a wire from stereo along back of dash, through chassis and following the door hing and into t he door to the speaker!
Woop Woop.

Dinky

Re: STUPID CABS [long winded but i need advice]
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2007, 19:18 »
I honestly don't envy you Han and tbh, I (i mean paul and i and whoever else i can rope in) am going to try and rewire the whole of the cab at some point and def not a job I'm looking forward too...
As for your dash, trust me when I say, mine is worse! Try two lots of wiring for cd players and a conversion.. :sad:
Best of luck chick..remember what your doing, cos I'll be asking in a few weeks time too! :grin:
Id offer you a copy of the pdf file i have for cabs but not sure if yours would be covered under it or not? :undecided:

Dinx :kiss:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2007, 19:29 »
i have 2 haynes manuals.. at my mums... lol

well i'll see how i get on tomorrow! I managed it on my own though... Been a dubber since 2005 and now im only just gettin my hands dirty!!

I had no idea what im doing.. apart from removing dodgy looking wires.. I'll expect you guys to help me pick up the pieces when i mess it all up!!!

I've had an alarm that i need to remove the wiring for, lol

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2007, 20:35 »

I've had an alarm that i need to remove the wiring for, lol

I've just been doing that, fun.......  :sad:

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2007, 21:02 »
good work Han.

get some new 4x6''s. ther like 25 quid
:)

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2007, 23:00 »
free ones please :) someone must be uprating their mk2!?  :evil:

Offline phil88

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2007, 01:12 »
Don't you just HATE it when you set off to start something and then it ends up being a multitude of problems?!

yep!

ull have a nice new speaker setup when its finished tho, which is sweet

Offline tom26

• I live here
  • team chumpy.
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2007, 08:47 »
looks fun han! respect for giving it a go though +++

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2007, 10:44 »
looks fun han! respect for giving it a go though +++

thanks! I'm determined to use my somewhat *limited* knowledge for something productive...

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2007, 12:19 »
That 'black gunk' is actually a low resonance high density bonding agent specifically designed for the purpose of adhesure of electro-acoustic transducers to surfaces where direct contact (i.e bolting / screwing) is unsuitable due to the likelihood of distortion through resonance when the crank is spinning at the natural harmonic frequency of the transducer diaphragm and voice coil. You just chopped off and threw away about 40 quids worth.