Author Topic: 1990 Golf GTI 16v  (Read 38033 times)

Offline Mew

• I live here
1990 Golf GTI 16v
« on: 17 October 2009, 00:46 »
I've ended up with another Golf, which probably isn't the wisest move seeing as i still have the project sat on my Mum's drive, but oh well, it made sense at the time! :lipsrsealed:

For those of you that aren't aware, this was Chuff's mk2 up untill 2 weeks ago, so the overall look of the car is down to him (at the moment :wink:), not that that's a bad thing mind as it's a very nice car and a credit to the man :smiley: I don't really plan to do anything to it, apart from sorting out the "little things", so any changes that come about will most likely be a spur of the moment thing.

That said........

The first job was to get some sounds in there, so i fitted my headunit and a pair of JBL 6x4s in the rear. Nothing special, but better than the hole that was there when i got the car and potentially the best setup i've had in a Golf so far (i'm not a big ICE person).
Inside i have also added a warning buzzer to remind me when i have left my lights on (which has happened more than once in the last 2 weeks :lipsrsealed:) when the ignition is turned off. Simple but effective.

I went out for a "spirited" drive with a couple of mates the other day and nearly got chucked off the road several times as well as grounding out on a couple of ocassions, so i think the suspension setup will be changed in the near future.

The number plates have now been changed to proper legal items, mainly because i think they look better, but they also come with the added bonus of not risking a fine.

Next up for the exterior will be a set of original lamps up front. Currently fitted are a pair of crystal headlamps and smoked crystal spots, as well as some yellow fogs. The plan is to get all new Hella items if i can find them, or failing that at least some Hella headlamps from GSF. Having said that, when it comes to parting with the cash i'll probably end up with pattern parts for half the price!

There is also a small issue with the engine. Hopefully it is just the tappets that have gone, so in the not so distant future i will be ordering a set of tappets, a cam chain, a cam belt and tensioner and will be attacking the top end. If that doesn't fix it i'll either hit it or cry, or maybe both.

Oh, and it sounds like the osf wheel bearing is on it's way out.

It's good to be back in a mk2 :grin:
« Last Edit: 24 September 2012, 19:35 by Mew »

Offline Mew

• I live here
Re: Mew: Got another one!
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2009, 00:49 »
Anyway, have some pics:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2009, 00:49 »

^^ That sticker has now been removed
« Last Edit: 17 October 2009, 00:52 by Mew »

Offline RandomJord

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2009, 09:49 »
5 doors all the way!

I envy your standard exhaust, bet it doesn't knock an blow!
Skoda Octavia VRS DSG (soon!)
Skoda Rapid Spaceback

An a Signum for towing me old caravan!

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2009, 10:04 »
well done Mew, glad someone bought it and it wasn't broken! :smiley:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2009, 10:07 »
glad its been cleaned in one picture.  :tongue: and dont forget all ya spares. :afro:

the swap car is magic, it returned with a full tank of fuel and a litre of vodka, had to lend it out more often  :grin:

Offline billy_vw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2009, 10:10 »
Looking good  :cool:

But would have looked better on my drive  :lipsrsealed:

:laugh: :laugh:
MK5 GT TDi

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2009, 10:20 »

Next up for the exterior will be a set of original lamps up front. Currently fitted are a pair of crystal headlamps and smoked crystal spots, as well as some yellow fogs. The plan is to get all new Hella items if i can find them, or failing that at least some Hella headlamps from GSF. Having said that, when it comes to parting with the cash i'll probably end up with pattern parts for half the price!

dont forget you have a LOT here, to swap out or sell to fund  :wink:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2009, 11:58 »
glad its been cleaned in one picture.  :tongue:

News to me :lipsrsealed:

and dont forget all ya spares. :afro:

Currently enquiring about a council garage :smiley:

Offline Mew

• I live here