Author Topic: tinman - mk2 16v 'campaign' resto  (Read 12507 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
tinman - mk2 16v 'campaign' resto
« on: 22 August 2004, 13:10 »
background:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline tinman

• I live here
Re: tinman - mk2 16v 'campaign' resto
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2004, 18:44 »
Right, where do i start?

The car, a totally standard Mk2 16v Campaign in Metallic Black.

Acquired in 1991 when i was just about to go 19. TPFT was ?3.5k, Full Comp was ?5k+. However, at the time you could get drive any other car with 3rd party cover when you were 18. So, insured a Metro, drove the Golf. Car cost ?4k.

Car also had a private plate when I got it. Because of a f-up in the paperwork there were two cars driving around on the same plate for 4 months. Which was nice. After 4 months, my new private plate 1906VC finally came through and has stayed on the car ever since. If you want to know what 1906VC means ? absolutely nothing to me. I just thought it looked nice.

I drove the car for just under 3 years. I stopped driving it for the sole reason that I was a moron behind the wheel of a fast car. Quite simply, someone, either myself or an innocent person was going to die if i stayed behind the wheel of the car. Its not because I ever hit anything, its because you only have X number of times you get away with it. And the way my luck was storing itself up, when my luck was going to run out ? it was going to be big.

Got pulled for speeding and dangerous driving about 15 times during the first two years. Not one point on the ol' license.

So, the car got handed over to my father who then killed it over a period of 7-8 years.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2004, 18:45 »
I had a choice in 2002. Scrap it as it was a none runner and need plenty doing to it. Or rebuild it. At this point a neighbour came forward and offered to take a look at the engine. One thing led to another, and the car got rebuilt. The thing to remember was that the underside of the body was not rotten. Panels we're on their way, but the bottom of the car was sound. Hence it being worthwhile to start this project.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2004, 18:46 »
First the engine, then the mechanics, then the bodywork.

The engine ? 160k on the block, totally shagged. Leaked oil like a sieve, burnt oil like a diesel, didn't like mornings, total b!tch.

First job, head off to take a look at what we were dealing with. The bores were totally mirror finished, so clean and reflective you could see you face in them. Due to bad and uneven wear they were also ellipses. Block out, and bored out to their max of 1mm. You can bore more, however you start to mess up the oil galleries on the block (apparently).

New piston heads. Total cost of the bore and replacement heads ? well over ?450.

0.25mm and 0.5mm oversize heads are cheap and can be sourced from VAG. 1mm oversize heads do not come from VAG and are not cheap.

On to the head. 16 new valve followers. Because the car had been eating so much oil ? this car had driven for 40k miles with brand new oil. Oil was litterally burnt and replaced on a weekly cycle. This cycle led to the mirror finish on the bores ? it also meant that nothing in the engine had worn. So the cams were perfect ? no wear on either of the two cams. The main crank shaft was also perfect.

When the bit of plastic that resides in the sump was removed ? it was clean. That gives you some idea how much new oil this car had worked through.

Total cost of rebuilt engine? (parts only) somewhere north of ?2k.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2004, 18:49 by tinman »

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2004, 18:46 »
Next job, replace anything that moves. New brakes all round. After the car was rebuilt ? and despite it getting through its first MOT ? the car did not not want to stop. Stopping involved prayer. Solution ? change master cyclinder and rear brake cylinder. Now it brakes fine.

Next job, down to Wagenwheels for a respray. Several k and several months later, the car came back. Looks sweet, but still has issues I want to address.

Still had a couple of problems.

Firstly, the car did not want to start. Once it started the idle was so rough your jaw ached. The car also didn't like anything under 3k rpm.

However, when over 3k rpm ? the car pulled like a train and then some. Seriously good fun in a straight line, but an all out acceleration when going south on the A3 after the Hook camera, results in a brown trouser time as you enter the long corner. Car changes lane and heads straight for the crash barrier. Bit wayward on the cornering is an understatement. For some reason the Nissan Bluebird I had for S2N cornered better.

The engine problems turned out to be a combination of 3 things. Injectors, lifter pump, and fuel pump. The first two have been replaced. The car now starts on the button, the idle is the normal 16v roughness, and it is sweet from 800rpm all the way to 7.2krpm.

With new injectors and lift pump, power has also increased across the board.

The handling problem turned out to be totally shot springs. Although the struts were changed, the 16 year old springs weren't. As the car was engine less for two months the lack of tension on the front screwed the front springs over. The only non VAG part (apart form piston heads) to be put on the car are Eibach springs.

Car now corners better than it ever has.

Pictures to follow.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2004, 19:17 »
The original interior was wrecked. Ask my father about this.

Drivers seat had a knackered movement, so you couldnt get in the back, the bolsters were shot, the rear seat had had its nylon torn out of the pipe edging.

The passenger seat was perfect.

The answer to this problem, and the fact I wanted some more Castela (spelt wrong i know) wheels was to buy a Golf Driver off some guy. The driver had a three stripe interior, infinitely better than mine, and Castelas on the wheels. Car cost ?400. Got the bits i wanted - scrapped the car.

The drivers seat then cost a further ?150 to get redone. Essentially although the new seats were good - they weren't stunning. So, by having two sets of front seats you simply make two good seats. So the drivers seat is now better - not perfect - but not shagged.

Next job - refurb the old wheels and fit Goodyear Eagles or BF Goodriches.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2005, 18:43 »
The most irritating thing ever has happened to the car.

It had a new washer fluid box put on last year as the old one cracked rather badly. Filled it up with nice new water, and the water has gone stagnant as the car is hardly used. (eg less than once a month). And now the water reeks, and even if you put new water in, it will reek within a couple of days.

So, out comes the Mr Muscle Foam Oven cleaner, and some gloves. Drain the resovior, fill with Mr Muscle, wait a few minutes, fill it with water and see what happens.

Having said that - the car starts first time everytime depsite hardly any use at the moment, even in this cold weather.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2005, 16:10 »
One of the final things before we start back on the bodywork are the wheels and tyres.

I never got around to refubing a set of Castellets, however, i finally tracked down (thanks to this forum) a set of 15" Castellets. The 15" will improve the look of the car, and what with 4 new BF Goodriches on the way from the States, the car should perform quite well.

The tyres will be going from 185/60/HR14s (wrong speed rating) to 205/50/ZR15s. The circumferance will increase by about 3% so the only noticable difference will be a slightly more accurate guessometer.

The width, and the BFs should improve the road holding no end. Really looking forward to a set up that will actually allow me to corner at speed, rather than the currect situation of cornering at low speed and conducting a prayer meeting.

The first issue with the wheels is whether to put them on the car for a few weeks, or whether to get them refurb immediately. Seeong as they are totally polished - i hate polished wheels - they may be refurbed sooner.

I'll post pictures when i have them in hand.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2005, 12:07 »
Right, wheels are here.

I have no idea what someone has done to them, but they are definitely going for refurb. They look polished, and then they look laquered. the grey alcoves have been scrubbed out. other than that they seem straight, no kerbing whatsoever, and they have been scrubbed clean on the back, which is nice but wont safe me much on the refurb cost.

the irony is that they have virtually new Continentals 195/50/VR15s on them. they are going on ebay.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2008, 23:34 »
Long time and no posts, so heres a picture. Shes still in storage, but was started for the first time in about 6 months last weekend. Of course, she started first time with the jump.