Author Topic: Strange high pitched fan noise when 1st starting  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Bfstrachan

• Not said much yet
When I start the car for the first time in the morning or after the car has sat for a while there is a high pitched fan coming in as soon as the engine starts. The engine is running fine and the temperatures are ok, but have not heard this before? Any one got an idea where to begin looking?
Thanks for help in advance :)

Offline james2

• I live here
  • No scammers please.
Re: Strange high pitched fan noise when 1st starting
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2014, 17:41 »
You sure its a fan , not your starter motor making the noise....
AGU 1.8T. Mods done: R32 front bumper, turborev smic, ngk platinum spark plugs, uprated pancake pipe, demon motorsport boost hoses, forge 007 dv, forge engine cover, r-tec stage 1 map ,home made cold airfilter ,run on 98 ron fuel and castrol edge 0w 40 oil. Advanti racing alloys.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2014, 17:54 »
My money would be on the sai  :smiley:

Offline lee1989

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2014, 19:44 »
My money would be on the sai  :smiley:

+1 mine does this every morning

Offline matty james

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2014, 21:48 »
even a belt
mk3 gti"s and vr6"s,present a silver mk4 anniversary on adjustable coilovers.

Offline Bfstrachan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2014, 22:30 »
Thanks for the responses! It's not a belt. Definitely a fan type noise. I ran the code reader and there was a code 16795 came up, but it was not constant. When I run the reader later in the day there were no codes. The code has to do with the SAI which is what you all are pointing out. Any suggestions on what I need to do and if it's ok running the car with this?
Again comments appreciated!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2014, 22:35 »
Thanks for the responses! It's not a belt. Definitely a fan type noise. I ran the code reader and there was a code 16795 came up, but it was not constant. When I run the reader later in the day there were no codes. The code has to do with the SAI which is what you all are pointing out. Any suggestions on what I need to do and if it's ok running the car with this?
Again comments appreciated!
sure there is a guide to repair it kicking about will try find it for you  :smiley:

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2014, 12:49 »
easiest to remove the SAI and do the delete, loads of threads
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Bfstrachan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2014, 08:05 »
Got the fix done to the SAI last night. Was not able to fully remove it from the bracket, but did manage to rotate the pump and change over from the rivets to the bolts. A few of the rivets had been rounded off and one of the hoses was not attached very well. Managed to tie grip the hose for a better hold. Will run it this morning and see if this has done the trick :)
Thanks for the help!