Author Topic: Lead times  (Read 31559 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Lead times
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2021, 11:50 »
There maybe global factors that are impacting lead times. However, historically, VW do seem to have long lead times compared to some other manufacturers.

I waited eight months for my mk6 Golf GTD (ordered Nov 2000, delivered July 2011) and it wasn’t a new model; I ordered it around two years after the GTD was launched. With my current car (Polo GTI+, which was also around two years into the model’s lifecycle when I ordered it) it was seven months from time of order to delivery, but probably would’ve arrived six weeks sooner if the factory hadn’t been closed because of the pandemic (salesperson indicated five months lead time when I ordered it).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 21 January 2021, 11:58 »
There maybe global factors that are impacting lead times. However, historically, VW do seem to have long lead times compared to some other manufacturers.

I waited eight months for my mk6 Golf GTD (ordered Nov 2000, delivered July 2011) and it wasn’t a new model; I ordered it around two years after the GTD was launched. With my current car (Polo GTI+, which was also around two years into the model’s lifecycle when I ordered it) it was seven months from time of order to delivery, but probably would’ve arrived six weeks sooner if the factory hadn’t been closed because of the pandemic (salesperson indicated five months lead time when I ordered it).

11 years is a long lead time  :wink:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2021, 12:06 »
I wonder how many VW's are sold from factory orders vs on hand stock and if this is significantly different to other marques?

Right now is a bit of an odd moment for Golfs in that both new models and a global pandemic means there are actually stock at dealers for a while. In the two previous attempts of buying Golfs everyone laughed when i asked if stock was a thing....

Obviously never having unsold stock in your yard is what you want, but VW do seem to take that to an extreme.

Conversely I never understand why, under normal circumstances, BMW can complete a factory order in a fraction of the time VAG do. Its almost like they think they don't need faster production, the customer can just bloody wait.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2021, 12:11 »

11 years is a long lead time  :wink:

Ha ha, yes it is. Typo. 2000 should be 2010.  :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2021, 12:44 »
I wonder how many VW's are sold from factory orders vs on hand stock and if this is significantly different to other marques?

Right now is a bit of an odd moment for Golfs in that both new models and a global pandemic means there are actually stock at dealers for a while. In the two previous attempts of buying Golfs everyone laughed when i asked if stock was a thing....

Obviously never having unsold stock in your yard is what you want, but VW do seem to take that to an extreme.

Conversely I never understand why, under normal circumstances, BMW can complete a factory order in a fraction of the time VAG do. Its almost like they think they don't need faster production, the customer can just bloody wait.

A mate of mine built an aircraft quicker...... :whistle:

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2021, 20:12 »
Hi Order placed at Dealership 11/12/2020 - expected delivery 15/3/2021
checked vw site for My Cars
Current Status:-
1 Processing your order

2 With the factory

3 Build week confirmed
4 Build in progress
5 In transit
6 Arrived in the UK
7 Nearly there
Your order is with the factory
Golf 8 GTI Clubsport 2.0 TSI 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Order no.
Colour: Dolphin Grey Metallic
Upholstery: Soul-Black - Tornado Red/Soul-Black/Black/Soul-Black
[bYour order is with the factory and is currently being scheduled for production.[/b]

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2021, 20:23 »
They plan production about four weeks ahead of the eventual production week, then typically it takes about another four weeks to arrive at the dealers, sometimes more.

So if they told you it was production planned, it would be at least nine weeks before you saw it.

Production planning is about both having a slot on the production line and all of the parts being on hand from all of the suppliers. Most of your car is made not by vw. Vw just assemble it.

Sometimes particular components needed for your build can be in short supply. Without seeing their erp system it's impossible to guess when all of the magic comes together.

My guess though, it will be later than the date you've got for delivery.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 26 January 2021, 11:52 »
Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone knows what VW’s lead times are like on the Golf Clubsport? I ordered mine on Monday and was told 12 weeks which I think is a standard answer but I was wondering if COVID or this global semiconductor shortage is going to make a difference.

Cheers,

Update - I’ve just been told the end of June.
Unfortunately the dealer you placed the order with hasn’t got a clue.......

GTI lead times- 30 weeks
GTD- 24 weeks
GTE- 24 weeks
GTI clubsport- 22 weeks
Golf R- 26 weeks

But this is from when you order is accepted by the factory which means should your retailer have any allocation it will get accepted. If not it will stay on there wait list until the do have allocation.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2021, 14:58 »
So I’ve just had a call from my VW dealership, my new GTI was due to be built last week of January, delivered mid Feb. Apparently it hasn’t been built yet as the factory are having issues with social distancing on the production line! The sales guy said the good news is that as it’s delayed I will get the new 21 plate. 😂 Thanks VW for not having enough time to socially distance your staff over the last year.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2021, 15:03 »
21 or 71? They’ve not mentioned the semiconductors yet!  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner