Author Topic: BT Ordered to Block Pirate Sites  (Read 8516 times)

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
Re: BT Ordered to Block Pirate Sites
« Reply #70 on: 02 August 2011, 17:52 »
I wont buy it multiple times...if I own one format I own the copyrighted material for my use...just because they outmode a media format doesn't make it right to force you to buy again when alternative methods of changing the format of said material exist. I have paid for the song/film etc.

How many of us as kids used to tape the radio?? Do a dub mixtape of all your favourite tracks?

And on a different note but linked...digital radio being phased out by 2015/2019 things seem unclear, but it appears hopeful for FM Radio existing a little longer...http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/analogue-radio-switch-off-not-until-2019-511322
http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-analogue-radio-switchoff?cat=technology&type=article

are car manufacturers placing DAB enabled radios in their new line of cars from base model onwards...it appears very few if any. So more expense to generate industry when we are supposed to be trying to be green  :laugh:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline Mitching

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 02 August 2011, 18:18 »
I wont buy it multiple times...if I own one format I own the copyrighted material for my use...
No you don't.
The copyright holder owns the copyright.

I do however burn my CD's onto iTunes, so I can store them on my iPhone.
Still can't get my head around that being illegal. (I know it is, just think it's stupid that it is)

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #72 on: 02 August 2011, 23:13 »
I wont buy it multiple times...if I own one format I own the copyrighted material for my use...
No you don't.

Still can't get my head around that being illegal. (I know it is, just think it's stupid that it is)
As I said...for my use...didnt say that it was legal to copy...i said i would copy, whether for walkman, back in the day, or even CD's for the multi-changer I had in the boot during late 90's etc.  Also b0llox is the stance on DJ works...YouPube took a bloody full on routine offline due to it playing more than "1 minute of copyrighted material, even though it wasn't actually just the original playing, as we were re-rubbing on the fly over 4 turntables :laugh: Dumb as hell...

Also for those that are unsure all this mean that according to the copyrightservice.co.uk
Acts that are allowed

Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree without infringing the work, these acts are:

* Private and research study purposes.
    * Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.
    * Criticism and news reporting.
    * Incidental inclusion.
    * Copies and lending by librarians.
    * Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.
    * Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as "time shifting".
    * Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.
    * Playing sound recording for a non profit making organisation, club or society.

(Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a license from PRS for Music.)

Also for Bobotheclown

Duration of copyright

The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;

1. For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), then the duration will be 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.
   2. Sound Recordings and broadcasts

50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or,

if the work is released within that time: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released

but it could also be argued that The Beatles is a sound recording, and therefore  in 4 years EMI cant make any further money from them and the white album will be free??

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline Mitching

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 02 August 2011, 23:39 »

Also for Bobotheclown

Duration of copyright

The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patents Act states the duration of copyright as;

1. For literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

If the author is unknown, copyright will last for 70 years from end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is made available to the public during that time, (by publication, authorised performance, broadcast, exhibition, etc.), then the duration will be 70 years from the end of the year that the work was first made available.
   2. Sound Recordings and broadcasts

50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, or,

if the work is released within that time: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first released

but it could also be argued that The Beatles is a sound recording, and therefore  in 4 years EMI cant make any further money from them and the white album will be free??
There;'s 2 types of copy right for songs.
Phonographic and intellectual.
The sound recording is the recording of the song they recorded for the record label.
It's the phonographic copyright of the recording, not the song itself (that belongs to the songwriters and publishers, it covers lyrics and melodies, that intellectual copyright lasts for 70 years after the writer has died)

People that want to cover the song, use lyrics or the melody need permission from the song owner (writers, publishers).
People that want to use the recording of the song need permission from the phonographic owner (record label, or in the Beatles case, the 2 surviving members, and maybe the dead members estates).
Labels often get around this by re-releasing albums, mostly re-masters etc, towards the end of the copy righted period.
By doing this they still retain the original phonographic copyright, as they're original recordings, just re-released.

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #74 on: 03 August 2011, 12:57 »
No you don't.

The way I see it then, is if I buy the cd, then I have a licence to use it, but a one user licence, like software. The disc is on my shelf, but it's 'installed' (for want of a better word) on my iPod, for my use.

You know, I wonder how far they're going to go. Lending of your cd's is illegal too. Are they going to break our doors down and check for receipts?
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Mitching

• I live here
« Reply #75 on: 03 August 2011, 12:59 »
No you don't.

The way I see it then, is if I buy the cd, then I have a licence to use it, but a one user licence, like software. The disc is on my shelf, but it's 'installed' (for want of a better word) on my iPod, for my use.

You know, I wonder how far they're going to go. Lending of your cd's is illegal too. Are they going to break our doors down and check for receipts?
True.
Well put