Author Topic: New Member - First-Time Golf Owner  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
New Member - First-Time Golf Owner
« on: 19 February 2021, 03:58 »
Hi, everyone.  These 'newbie intro' posts always feel a bit cringe but figured I would do one anyway.

I've been lurking for a few weeks but joined up today.  I'm Brocky from Manchester and I am around 2-3 weeks from picking up my Mk.8 Clubsport in Pure White, which will be my first foray into the GTI world.  I initially wanted mine in Pure White with Estorils, DCC, HK and the winter pack but a combination of lead times and personal circumstances which meant that I had to pull the trigger quicker than I intended, pushed me into going for a stock car with base spec.  That said, I am not as disgusted with the 18" rims as many are and my view is that the GTI without DCC is going to be the purest 'as it was intended' GTI experience and I am sure that I will be more than satisfied with the car, regardless of it missing a little bit of the desirable stuff.

Anyway, that's me.  Hopefully I will be around here for a while.  :smiley:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: New Member - First-Time Golf Owner
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2021, 11:38 »
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of discussion and helpful info in the Mk8 subforum.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2021, 12:17 »
Welcome Brocky!

Hope you love your car, I'm about 10 days away from my Mk8 GTI and looking forward to it... mainly!  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2021, 17:17 »
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of discussion and helpful info in the Mk8 subforum.
Thanks, Guzzle.

Yeah, I have been lurking around over the last few weeks and have found plenty of useful info already.  :smiley:
Welcome Brocky!

Hope you love your car, I'm about 10 days away from my Mk8 GTI and looking forward to it... mainly!  :laugh:
Thanks, Fred.

As mentioned, I have been around a few weeks and so have read plenty of your posts already.  I am sure I will love it.  It will be not only my first GTI but also my first brand new car experience as well.   :laugh:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Online Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2021, 19:18 »
Hope you enjoy it, what an experience first brand new car & a GTI, I had the same thing many years a go with one of the first Mk2 8v GTI's... It was fabulous :grin:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2021, 20:44 »
Wow, what a first new car!

I could only dream that my first new car ever was a gti. I remember the first gti i ever saw, my friend's dad had a brand new mk1. It seemed so unobtainable to me. An absolute storming car.

I've had plenty of brand new cars over the years, most absolute sh1tboxes lol

I genuinely hope that you love it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2021, 21:15 »
A brand new gti is the stuff of dreams- and i too can vividly remember seeing one as a kid and thinking “ wow, why doesn’t my dad buy one of those “.
It was a black mk1- A4123 near Birmingham- being driven hard with 2 young lads in the front. My dad driving his metallic green Audi 100 automatic, having a little race at each set of lights.
His next car was a new mk1 vw jetta diesel, which stayed in the family for 18 years and which my brother and I learnt to drive on.
I really wish he’d bought a golf gti.
Mine’s also my first brand new car.
Welcome OP- post some pics when you get it
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2021, 22:08 »
Thanks, all.  Yeah, although I have had quite a few cars in my time, I have never owned a brand spanker, so it feels pretty sweet to be about to get my first one and it being a GTI makes it that much more special.  I can't wait.  :laugh:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport