Author Topic: Actions arrising from first track day  (Read 10748 times)

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
Actions arrising from first track day
« on: 01 December 2009, 09:19 »
Well I completed my first track day at Brands Hatch on Saturday, and have to say that I am absolutely hooked.  It was great fun and I will definitely be booking more.

The car ran very well but I have a couple of issues that I would like some input with.

The first is an oil issue.  The car had a new filter, OEM spec from GSF, and full oil change prior to the event and I constantly checked to see make sure that I was not loosing oil during the day.  In the afternoon, when I was actually getting some speed up, I had an issue where the car would burn a bit of oil after Clarks Curve, the long fast right hander.  It was only here and it was gone by the time I finished the straight and entered Paddock.  I stopped revving to over 5,500 / 6,000 and dropped the speed through Clarks and the problem went away.  Is this and oil surge issue and would fitting a windage tray solve it?  I have a new oil pump to fit, time ran out during prep, and am happy to get a windage tray and fit everything at the same time, but don’t want to spend on this engine if it is shagged.

The second is the brakes.  They worked fine for the entire day, pulling up nice and straight but I was constantly locking up the unloaded rear wheel, I even locked up both rears at one point and gave myself a small wiggle!  The fronts never even hinted that they were thinking about locking and continued to work throughout the day.  The rears had new callipers, GSF, OEM disks, local auto factors, and Frodo up-rated pads, local auto factors.  The fronts had late 16v hubs, spacers and callipers fitted with Brembo grooved disks, GSF, and GSF normal pads.  The Tyres were the originals that came with the car, and I cannot remember the make, but they lasted well and keep quite a reliable temp, once warmed up, throughout the day.  The pedal had quite a long travel but it was progressive.

Anyone got any ideas?  Many thanks,

Jon

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Actions arrising from first track day
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2009, 09:35 »
windage tray is more to keep the oil away from the crank, you need a baffled sump! i have templates somewhere ill try and dig out for you, then its a case of cutting them out of steel and welding them in. you might as well put a windage tray in there at the same time though

if you cant be arsed welding plates into the sump, schrick do a baffled sump, but it costs a fair bit

the brakes sound like the rear bias valve on the rear beam needs tweaking. i cant remember what way you stretch the spring, but im sure someone else can advise

Offline Pike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2009, 09:35 »
When you got going a little quicker in the afternoon you were probably experiencing a little oil surge. A windage tray from a MK3 diesel will solve your problem, that will become more prevalent as your pace picks up and if you visit other circuits around the country with long fast corners.

As for you braking issue check out the front/rear bias regulator mounted on the N/S of the rear beam. It sounds like you'r car's got a little too much rear braking. I run as much front bias as possible. The regs do not permit us to re-plumb the brake system but if you are running a dedicated track machine it may be worth considering running a leaver type bias valve in the car.

Golf GTI Championship #4
2008 VW1 3rd
2009 VW1 3rd

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2009, 09:36 »
haha beat you nananana

Offline Pike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2009, 09:39 »
To much wheel spin off the line  :wink:

If you stretch the spring you'll reduce the rear brake.

Golf GTI Championship #4
2008 VW1 3rd
2009 VW1 3rd

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2009, 09:55 »
My bias valve is just disconnected from the rear beam and I have never locked a rear.

Mark do you get oil surge at Brands? Not having driven that circuit I don't know if I would suffer but I certainly haven't suffered at Combe or Silverstone.

nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2009, 10:17 »
We're you driving the GP circuit, or the Indy?

Can't remember from your build thread if you replaced the master cylinder?  That might be the cause of your long pedal travel, if not.

I've re-plumbed my braking system, so two of the ports from the M/C go to one each of the front brakes and there is a single line going backwards, which has a bias valve in it (screw type).

I did it because I was rebuilding the rear axle, so I had to re-plumb the entire back end anyway.

It took a bit of tweaking to turn the rears down enough, but I'm pleased with how it's worked out.

I know some of the 2WD guys struggle to reduce their rear braking on a bias valve enough - GTIs really don't need much rear-wheel braking it would seem

Jon, if you do think about fitting a bias valve, bear in mind you're re-plumbing the whole car.

Interested to know if Mark gets oil-surge at Brands - I'll be finding out if I do on Thursday.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2009, 10:23 »
Interested to know if Mark gets oil-surge at Brands - I'll be finding out if I do on Thursday.

Hate you! I'm getting bad withdrawal symptoms, I actually keep dreaming about being on track and waking up dissapointed. I haven't even driven the car in about 2 months. Can't wait till next week when it gets some new boots and I can actually take it out for a blast to No-Rice and back.

Nick

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2009, 10:26 »

Hate you! I'm getting bad withdrawal symptoms, I actually keep dreaming about being on track and waking up dissapointed. I haven't even driven the car in about 2 months. Can't wait till next week when it gets some new boots and I can actually take it out for a blast to No-Rice and back.

Nick

Bet I get the blame for it  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2009, 10:39 »

Don't go hating me too much.

This is the last month before I have a new mortgage.

2010 looks pretty f*cking bleak and track day-less from where I'm standing.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.