Author Topic: Will shopping list work???  (Read 2424 times)

Offline squirrel

• Not said much yet
  • New to the GTI world.
Will shopping list work???
« on: 17 May 2005, 23:13 »
I have decided on the setup I want, would anyone be able to check it over and make sure its ok before I buy the rest?

Head Unit - Sony CDX R6559 - already bought
2 x Infinity Reference 6402cf 6 x 4 @ 40W RMS - already bought
2 x Infinity Reference 4002i 10cm @ 35W RMS - already bought
1 x Infinity Reference 1030W 10" Sub @ 250 RMS, or Sony XS-L101P5S @ 300W RMS - not bought yet
1 x Sony XM-504Z 4 channel amp @ 4 x 50W RMS - not bought yet
1 x JBL GTO-75.2 2 channel amp @ 1 x 260W RMS - not bought yet

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Loving my new '89 GTI Cabrio

Offline Splinter

• GTI forum regular
Re: Will shopping list work???
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2005, 09:24 »
Won't work, you aint got any cables!  :smiley: You need decent thickness power. Half decent oxy free speaker wire and very good RCA leads.

I'd upgrade to some better quality front speakers when you get chance, even some good quality 2nd hand components. It will make a huge difference to quality up front. The rest should be okay for a budget system. Consider getting a ported box for the sub, if your wanting it a little louder (with slightly less punch) It can sound twice as loud, a ported box will need to be a little bigger than a sealed one.
" Do it today, Don't wait until tomorrow "

Offline CHR15

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2005, 17:57 »
ditch the rears! :evil:

Offline squirrel

• Not said much yet
  • New to the GTI world.
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2005, 18:48 »
I've only just bought the fronts!  :huh: I can't upgrade already lol

What would I upgrade too? I thougth Infinity were a quality brand, what other 6x4's could I have bought?

I am keeping the car totally stock apart from adding the sub obviously! So I can't get speakers which won't fit in the doors, or rear panels.

With regard to the sub box I am panelling off the two sides of the boot, one side wil house the sub, the other side will house my Xbox. Then I'm having a 17" widescreen LCD screen in the centre! Should be good once its all in.

I think I'm going to need to consider the power aspect of this installation. Any suggestions? Will I need a second battery?

Thanks.

Offline CHR15

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2005, 21:22 »
just dont have any rears...they just bring the centre of the sound back towards the rear of the car, which aint where you are sitting i presume!! :evil:

Offline golfpro

• I live here
  • If in doubt, pay someone else to do it!
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2005, 08:01 »
do you really mean 17"? thats pretty big!

I agree with chris too, dont put the rears it and just have fronts and a sub. Works for me!

thats the best mk3 ive seen..ever! its just clean and subtle.. :cool:

Offline squirrel

• Not said much yet
  • New to the GTI world.
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2005, 08:20 »
Yep, I already have the LCD screen, and its definately a 17" widescreen.
Its all going in the boot so I can play xbox and watch DVD's "Pimp My Ride" style! When at shows or camping.

I'm making it all removable so the car will remain stock.

I really need to know more about powering it all though, I'm guessing the single car battery won't be enough to power the screen and xbox for a few hours at a time without going flat.

Can anyone describe how setup the power?? Second Battery??

Thanks

Offline Splinter

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2005, 18:40 »
You need to fit a 'split charge relay' wired to alternator & 2nd battery so that its charged when engine is running and you can use it, knowing that you can always start the car!

If you have a decent car stereo shop nearby, they can sort you out with one, or go mail order. All the simple wire instructions will come with it. You then need a voltage meter to give a guide to when battery is going flat after a few hours of stereo and xbox! You'll need a different type of battery to a normal car one, and I'm not sure on the price of these nowadays, but think they're about twice as expensive!

Personally, I've always preferred having rear speakers as it 'fills' the car with sound better, but a simple system can often sound the best. All my speakers are in the stock locations, with upgraded fronts (inc tweeters) and rears (inc tweeters) Try it with & without rears (seeing as you've got them), and see which you prefer.

Don't 4get the 12v power invertor for the xbox and screen!!!
" Do it today, Don't wait until tomorrow "

Offline squirrel

• Not said much yet
  • New to the GTI world.
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2005, 23:42 »
Thank you Splinter!
I like your style. I have always preferred rear speakers too.

I'll have a look at these power splitter thingies you mentioned, and the battery too.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on, and post some pics too.

Offline CHR15

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2005, 08:08 »
looking forward to seeing the pics....should be awesome!