Author Topic: GTI Clubsport, Season 2, Episode 1  (Read 12607 times)

Offline fuster

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI Clubsport, Season 2, Episode 1
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2021, 17:57 »
Like the look of those wheels very much  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2021, 18:34 »
Excellent write up. I agree too, the Reifnitz reps really suit it. I also agree about DSG, good at times, pants quite a bit.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2021, 19:03 »
Instead of seventy three levels of ride adjustment in dcc, three on the Dsg would have been nicer....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2021, 13:49 »
Thanks for the positive comments all  :smiley:

The wheels aren’t very glam and won’t be to everyone’s taste but they do look quite good in the flesh, especially from the three quarter angle - as does the car in general. It’s a three quarter view kind of car!
I’ll endeavour to get some more photos when things settle down restrictions wise which is easier said than done at times.

Apologies for the length of the posts but that was the shortened summarised version! Quickly skimming back through those posts to check for any glaring typos or autocorrect massacres it does read a bit like I’m saying the suspension can feel a bit soft and wallowing on turn in which absolutely isn’t the case. It’s a very sharp steering car that is so accomplished going into bends that it’s sometimes just a bit too smooth and easy to fully appreciate what’s going on below decks until you look at the speedo. The M135i could feel darty where the Golf doesn’t unless you load up the suspension a bit showing it you mean business.
In comfort the gearbox assists in disguising the chassis’ fantastic composure.

Fred, you’re so right. If a modicum of DCC adjustability could have been sacrificed for a middle setting in the gearbox to make it more like the Aisin 135i slush box in its normal mode at times it would be so much more rewarding to drive “normally”.

I’ve been watching a few YouTube vids on Mars Perseverance Rover because I’m dead boring like that at times, but interspersed it with a few car “reviews”
Not really on topic but I re-watched the Carwow vid where the R destroys the 135, A35 and S3 which is interesting in itself, but rewatching it made me pay a bit more attention to the superimposed speedometer from the R during some of the runs. It’s not until the cars are at very high speeds that the Golf really pulls ahead...

These YouTube vids are entertaining enough but mostly just click-bait, I’ll be interested when Mr Chapple puts his TCR back to back with his Clubsport. Despite all the hype around the further development of the mk8 chassis I really don’t think it drives very noticeably different to the TCR as regards to engine, gearbox and handling. I notice the exhaust note differences but little else. You’d really have to be an Evo magazine type to feel the tweaks day to day.

I got overtaken by an Audi R8 last night going to work, it was on a bit of winding NSL single carriageway approaching two fairly blind side roads  :rolleyes:
Several thoughts went through my mind. I wished I had that guy’s bank balance, I wished I had his cojones, I admired the noise the car made, but more so was I was surprised at how that car didn’t gain anything on the Clubsport through the set of sharp S bends we were approaching, despite me merely ambling along making zero effort. The R8 was on the gas, then hard on the brakes, back on the gas...  I just cruised through, I didn’t touch the brakes, hardly needed to adjust the throttle and sailed around easily. Yeah, the other guy was having more fun but I was running early and in no rush at all, yet the Clubsport lost no ground on him at all. Well I’m assuming it was a him. Had I been a bit more up for it I reckon I could have reeled the R8 back in, which would have been nice as I’d have been able to hear that engine/exhaust more. But then again I’d not have managed 38mpg for the trip, which is what I got  :grin:

Ok, I’d better shut up about it now.

Clubsport summary, save yourself a lot of reading: Nice car, drives well, handles well, rides well, go buy/lease one.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2021, 13:58 »
You were keeping up with him because it was night and he was wasting time adjusting the the heating or stereo volume, whereas in a Mk8 you know not to even attempt it.

See, VW making drivers cars by stripping away the distractions  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 16 March 2021, 14:05 »
You were keeping up with him because it was night and he was wasting time adjusting the the heating or stereo volume, whereas in a Mk8 you know not to even attempt it.

See, VW making drivers cars by stripping away the distractions  :whistle:

:grin: :grin:

He probably had his butler in the passenger seat with one hand gripping a sick bag and the other hand adjusting the controls at his master’s command.

More likely he had a leggy blonde sat next to him gripping a designer handbag and a bag of coke.

Not that I’m into stereotypes or anything...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 16 March 2021, 14:35 »
More likely he had a leggy blonde sat next to him gripping a designer handbag and a bag of coke.

Not that I’m into stereotypes or anything...

Now that's a coincidence, I was on my way home last night with my leggy blonde butler in my R8 when I had cause to overtake a dawdling white new GTI..... :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 16 March 2021, 14:40 »
 :grin:

Just give me a shout when the car needs vacuuming Watts, I’ll pop round with a rolled up fiver and hoover your seats and carpet with my nostrils...  :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 16 March 2021, 19:21 »
:grin:

Just give me a shout when the car needs vacuuming Watts, I’ll pop round with a rolled up fiver and hoover your seats and carpet with my nostrils...  :lipsrsealed:

I shall keep you in mind but don't think you can come near my R8 with fivers! :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.