Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19” Santiagos  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19” Santiagos
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2019, 18:32 »
Watts & others, just thought you’d like to know that I had x4 fitted today.
Cost at Kwikfit £640 inclusive.  Blackcircles quoted £623.  I’m content with Kwikfit because I’ve used them before and I trust one of the senior fitters there.

Two quick questions.
What’s the best way to clean off the lubricant they use to ease the beads over the rim?  It’s dried out white.
In those photos you posted, what tyre dressing were you using?

Peter_S
MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Michelin PS4S (March 2019) on 19” Santiagos Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)

Online TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 06 March 2019, 20:24 »
Cost at Kwikfit £640 inclusive.  Blackcircles quoted £623.  I’m content with Kwikfit because I’ve used them before and I trust one of the senior fitters there.

Two quick questions.
What’s the best way to clean off the lubricant they use to ease the beads over the rim?  It’s dried out white.

Peter_S

I think the lubricant is a type of soap, so I've always used hot soapy water and a softish halfords wheel brush and it's always come off okay.  By-the-way which Kwikfit do you use?

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 06 March 2019, 21:49 »
TurboTrev, I’ll try that thanks.

If you don’t mind, I’d rather not give the exact Kwikfit centre as I don’t want to get the guy and the centre who gave me the discount into any trouble.

I just showed them the Blackcircles price from their website and he matched it well, £20 more.
It took Kwikfit half-a-day to obtain them.

I asked a local VW dealer to quote.  They said £800 and declined to price-match Blackcircles!

Peter_S
MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Michelin PS4S (March 2019) on 19” Santiagos Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 07 March 2019, 09:22 »

Two quick questions.

Peter_S

All Purpose Cleaner and a stiff brush, can be used to clean up any tyres prior to drying and dressing and will fetch the tyre fitters stuff off.

Gyeon do one of the best tyres dressing I've used, called Q2 although I'm trying out Chemical Guys Silk Shine at the moment which is nice. Key to a good tyre dressing is very dry tyres, a product that is not too shiny and you'd don't want something with lots of 'fling' as it will be up the side of your car after a day.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Online TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 07 March 2019, 12:12 »
If you don’t mind, I’d rather not give the exact Kwikfit centre as I don’t want to get the guy and the centre who gave me the discount into any trouble.

Okay, I don't need any tyres but it's always useful to know of a "safe" tyre fitter!

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 07 March 2019, 19:39 »
Jim_mk7.5, ok thanks.

Could you elaborate on " ... All Purpose Cleaner"  Which brand?

"Key to a good tyre dressing is very dry tyres"  Noted, thanks.

I've been using Meguiars Endurance Gel on the P-Zeros which I disposed of yesterday.  Quite pleased with it.

"Gyeon do one of the best tyres dressing I've used, called Q2 although I'm trying out Chemical Guys Silk Shine at the moment which is nice."
I'll give both those a go in due course.
I prefer a matt/silk finish.

Peter_S

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 07 March 2019, 20:21 »
Jim_mk7.5, ok thanks.

Could you elaborate on " ... All Purpose Cleaner"  Which brand?

"Key to a good tyre dressing is very dry tyres"  Noted, thanks.

I've been using Meguiars Endurance Gel on the P-Zeros which I disposed of yesterday.  Quite pleased with it.

"Gyeon do one of the best tyres dressing I've used, called Q2 although I'm trying out Chemical Guys Silk Shine at the moment which is nice."
I'll give both those a go in due course.
I prefer a matt/silk finish.

Peter_S

Most brands do one - I use GTechniq, dilute it in a spray bottle. Use it for all sorts of detailing jobs (door shuts, engine bay, wheels, seats, peddles, matts etc) and very handy round the house as well.

Yes, tyre shine should be matt/satin not too shiney!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 08 March 2019, 08:34 »
Jim_mk7.5,  thanks I'll look for that GTechniq product.

Peter_S

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2019, 13:29 »
It’s always good to see recommendations for tyre dressings because the products vary so much.
Some last, some don’t, some are messy, some not, some are a bugger to apply, some not.

Tyre fitter’s gunk wipes off with any shampoo or even a bit of washing up water with Fairy Liquid and a kitchen towel if between washes...

Which reminds me, I must get some new Michelins soon  :cry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 08 March 2019, 14:20 »
It’s always good to see recommendations for tyre dressings because the products vary so much.
Some last, some don’t, some are messy, some not, some are a bugger to apply, some not.

each application typically lasts for a minimum of four weeks, even in wet weather. However, this can be extended to six weeks or more if it is layered and heated gently with a heat gun.

I have found this to be true and need to reorder this.

https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/gyeon-q2-tire
NOW - 330e M Sport