Author Topic: Mk8 headlights and wheels  (Read 1764 times)

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
Mk8 headlights and wheels
« on: 19 September 2022, 21:16 »
Has anyone had issues with headlights, I’ve had 1 replaced on my mk8 gti and my mk8 gtd is going in a few weeks to get both headlights replaced as they are cracked, and they are cracking from the inside out. The lacquer is also coming off 3 of the wheels on my gtd

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk8 headlights and wheels
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2022, 21:36 »
Oohhh that’s bad. I’d not want one of those complex units developing a fault out of warranty.
I’d better check mine, I’ve not cleaned it for well over 1k miles due to hosepipe bans and general busyness/laziness aside from an occasional window clean, therefore I’ve not really looked at the car closely.

Thanks for the heads up, I wonder what causes it.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2022, 21:42 »
It starts with very minor marks and slowly develops. The one already posted is the drivers side, I have attached a photo of the passenger side which has started cracking, albeit minor. When you run your finger across it, it is still smooth and the cracking starts from the inside.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2022, 21:53 »
That really is bad, at least with it cracking from the inside there is no ducking out of warranty claims.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2022, 22:35 »
@daviegsxr; that’s shocking :shocked:. If that happens to anyone out of warranty, then I dread to think how much it’d cost to replace a pair of IQ matrix LED headlamps.

As for the lacquer peel on your car’s alloys; poor durability of the finish on diamond cut alloys is one of the reasons why they’re a no-no for me. I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion! :angry:. Is there any evidence of damage to the lacquer - such as stone chips - that might have caused the lacquer to lift and peel? If so, then VW may argue the lacquer separation is ‘due to an external influence’ and deny a warranty claim
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2022, 14:36 »
@daviegsxr; that’s shocking :shocked:. If that happens to anyone out of warranty, then I dread to think how much it’d cost to replace a pair of IQ matrix LED headlamps.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/5g2941035

You'll find the matching other side on there too.... equally I've seen them as new on Ebay for "only" £1100 for a pair.

They are complete sealed units too - no sub components for headlights any more, not even bulbs.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2022, 18:31 »
I’ve had one already replaced on my mk8 gti under warranty but the dealer said the cost of the job was over £1700 for the one headlight as the bumper was off and it’s apparently £300 to set the radar back up!

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2022, 07:59 »
I had a good look at my (now one year old) lights yesterday and no sign whatsoever of this problem. I wonder is it due to being poorly / incorrectly fitted? They look like stress cracks, where E.g. screws have been over torqued or maybe not fitting correctly to the bumper, causing flexing over time to crack them.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2024, 10:07 »
Sorry to bring up an old topic, it’s hard to find other reports of mk8 headlight issues.

My car is booked in to have one of the headlights adjusted (the unit not the beam) as it’s been seated incorrectly at the factory. Did VW manage to remove your front bumper, swap the headlight and refit without any damage? I’m incredibly nervous about this work on my car, it’s only 4 months old since new. Do you know how they also calibrated the light after swapping it as my local dealership is giving out conflicting info on what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack