Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 534645 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2080 on: 24 October 2019, 18:22 »
The wheelie creeper seat arrived.  It’s fantastic!  That’s based on randomly wheeling it and myself around the driveway on it on arriving home from work, as it’s a bit dark for actual car washing tonight!

Very versatile with the three positions but especially the Z seat position which is perfect for lower panel work and lowest seat position for wheel work.  The seat is moved into different positions via two quick release pins and takes only a second to alter. Also works on sloping ground and doesn’t roll away provided the castors are at the right angle.

Great buy!   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2081 on: 24 October 2019, 19:17 »
The wheelie creeper seat arrived.  It’s fantastic!  That’s based on randomly wheeling it and myself around the driveway on it on arriving home from work, as it’s a bit dark for actual car washing tonight!

Very versatile with the three positions but especially the Z seat position which is perfect for lower panel work and lowest seat position for wheel work.  The seat is moved into different positions via two quick release pins and takes only a second to alter. Also works on sloping ground and doesn’t roll away provided the castors are at the right angle.

Great buy!

A great addition to your detailing equipment Rebecca. When you’ve finished using it for car washing, you (or your daughter) could have hours of fun with it on your new paved driveway! :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2082 on: 24 October 2019, 19:20 »

Great buy!

Tell us that you had a torch in your hand and were making engine noises!!
Your neighbours can't possibly get bored...

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2083 on: 24 October 2019, 19:26 »

Great buy!

Tell us that you had a torch in your hand and were making engine noises!!
Your neighbours can't possibly get bored...

Ah, sorry to disappoint but no, no torch or engine noises. I’d actually promised someone I’d test out the seat on a sloping part of the drive to see if it rolled away, as they are considering one for themselves but have a sloping drive and concerned that the seat would whizz off. I’m not around at home next week so thought I’d test it before I went and let them know.  My neighbours are lovely, and the retired husband is a vintage motorbike nut who races Norton bikes and is often tinkering with his bikes, so he’s no stranger to such things!  In fact he’d probably want one himself!
« Last Edit: 24 October 2019, 19:29 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2084 on: 25 October 2019, 12:45 »
Ran some snow foam and a soapy mitt over it.  Only four days since I last washed it but it’s been a grubby week’s driving to lots of muddy places.  Makes up for me leaving it I cleaned for weeks on end.

The wheeled seat and bucket dollys I bought in the week have already proved their worth. Make things that much easier when moving around the car and working low down, especially the seat in the lowest position with the backrest, that’s really good. And a lot less aches afterwards!  
« Last Edit: 25 October 2019, 12:53 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2085 on: 25 October 2019, 14:54 »
Can you sit on the seat with your legs under the car for working on the lower panels? That would be ace.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2086 on: 25 October 2019, 15:04 »
Can you sit on the seat with your legs under the car for working on the lower panels? That would be ace.

Well I guess much depends on the length of your legs but if positioned at angle to the car, I can slide my lower legs up to my knees under the body of the car, so that means I’m right up close to the panel. That’ll be really good for machine polishing.  The backrest makes all the difference, it’s very upright so puts you in just the right position whilst supporting you.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2087 on: 25 October 2019, 15:43 »
That's what I was thinking. I've sat on the floor with my legs under the car for that very job. Having the machine between chest and waist height in front of you is good. With the backrest it would make the job even more comfortable.

It's easy to think "oh sod it, it'll do," when it comes to the lower panels due to being awkward to get at comfortably.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2088 on: 25 October 2019, 16:59 »
That's what I was thinking. I've sat on the floor with my legs under the car for that very job. Having the machine between chest and waist height in front of you is good. With the backrest it would make the job even more comfortable.

It's easy to think "oh sod it, it'll do," when it comes to the lower panels due to being awkward to get at comfortably.

Yes I know exactly what you mean when it comes doing the lower panels, the discomfort makes you settle for a substandard job.  This seat should definitely make a difference there.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2089 on: 29 October 2019, 08:59 »

That's where you need one of these...  :smiley:

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/car-lift-systems/bl-3500slx-portable-car-lift.html
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey