Author Topic: Hard wired dash cam - does it affect warranty?  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Crayonrunner

• Just got here
Hard wired dash cam - does it affect warranty?
« on: 17 February 2019, 13:24 »
Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether having a dash cam hard wired into the Golf would affect the warranty if an issue arose with the electrics?

Anyone recommend which brand to use? Blackvue, Thinkware, etc.

Particularly interested in the ones with parking mode.

Thanks.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Hard wired dash cam - does it affect warranty?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2019, 14:19 »
I've got the Thinkware F770 front and rear cameras and they are excellent. Not really sure why the electrics would go wrong with a dash cam fit as you use fuse taps and don't actually damage or change any of the factory wiring.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2019, 15:28 »
I've got the Thinkware F770 front and rear cameras and they are excellent. Not really sure why the electrics would go wrong with a dash cam fit as you use fuse taps and don't actually damage or change any of the factory wiring.

I've been thinking about purchasing a dashcam front and rear.  Whats the general rule at night when parked up, are they generally left in the car...does this not encourage theft?

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2019, 16:14 »
My dashcams are hardwired using piggy back fuses and there would be no issues with warranty. However if you attack the fusebox with a soldering iron or cut any wires to fit it then you may have an issue if it causes an electrical problem.

As for leaving them in 24/7/365 most now are designed to stay in and use parking mode. They are discreet as long as they are not mounted in a silly place. They are thankfully are not many now that use the sucker mounts as they are theft magnets, they use pads. Thieves are attracted to the rings on the screen left by the sucker.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2019, 16:19 »
My dashcam is hardwired in and even though I had my battery die last year which I suppose possibly could have been connected, the battery was replaced under warranty with no quibbling and the dealership are fully aware I have a wired-in dashcam.

Mine is left in-situ 24/7 so that parking mode can do its thing. An incident last Sunday, where someone put a dent in my car whilst it was parked up, has shown how worthwhile a dashcam is.

This is what my dashcam caught whilst it was parked up.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30715-educating-the-next-generation-of-car-park-door-dingers/

Apologies for linking to another forum! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2019, 16:40 »
That's the best advert ever for a dash cam with parking feature Rebecca. Gutted for you and hope the police and the cretin in the footage do the right thing.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2019, 22:05 »
I watched an old lady reverse her car in to a nice new Jag the other day and watched her walk off. I didn't have anything to write a note on nor did any of the passersby that I asked. I sat for 10 minutes to see if the jag owner would turn up but didn't and I had to get back to work. I did see they had a dashcam so I just hope they have a parking mode enabled one  :angry:

I need to upgrade my dashcam so that I can have parking mode too...

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2019, 10:01 »
My dashcam is hardwired in and even though I had my battery die last year which I suppose possibly could have been connected, the battery was replaced under warranty with no quibbling and the dealership are fully aware I have a wired-in dashcam.

Mine is left in-situ 24/7 so that parking mode can do its thing. An incident last Sunday, where someone put a dent in my car whilst it was parked up, has shown how worthwhile a dashcam is.

This is what my dashcam caught whilst it was parked up.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30715-educating-the-next-generation-of-car-park-door-dingers/

Apologies for linking to another forum!

What an absolute **** that guy is. That's a good feature, on my Nextbase one you have switch parking mode on which is annoying so I never do  :sad:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Spud122

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2019, 14:06 »
Hi Booth11,

Sorry to see your damage.

What dash cam have you fitted, I'm looking to get one and wondered which one that was as the picture etc looks very clear.

Thanks

Stewart

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 15:27 »
↑ I was just about to ask the same question.
Sorry to see the damage   :angry:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.