Author Topic: rubbing strips  (Read 4792 times)

dub_addicted

rubbing strips
« on: 13 April 2004, 23:46 »
Does anyone know how i can take out my rubbing strips from the front and rear bumper then smoothing it? and also teh door strips, how will i take it off and wil it leave a mark? ???

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:rubbing strips
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2004, 00:17 »
if your golf is a early model the door strips are just stuck on with double sided tape. the later 90-spec ones were held on with pins and need welding up.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

dub_addicted

« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2004, 00:23 »
hmmm its a mk4 golf ???

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2004, 00:29 »
obvious answer then is to buy a mark 2 then u will know all about the door strips!!!  ;) :D
« Last Edit: 14 April 2004, 00:30 by vixter »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2004, 00:34 »
for the bumpers cut out the rub strips and glass fibre a panel behind and then filler it?
« Last Edit: 14 April 2004, 00:41 by veedubgti16v »

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2004, 00:39 »
I can only speak for the mk3.

The door rubbing strips sit in a groove, in the groove are several holes where plastic clips are clipped into... once all clips are attached to the bodywork, the rubbing strip can be attached to the afore mentioned clips.

I assume the mk4 is similar, but perhaps without the groove.

The bumpers on the mk3 is totally different to the mk4 and so are the rubbing strips on it... but the mk4 ones looks identical to those running along the doors... so they are probably just using clips.

So if u wanna remove them... just "pop" the plastic off.. remove the clips and fill the holes, smooth it, prime it, paint it.

shouldnt be "too" hard .. or alternatively, u can appreciate ur rubbing strips are bodycoloured and smooth where as us mk1,2,3 owners have black rough plastic that needs smoothed, primed and painted b4 its bodycoloured!  :'(

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl

dub_addicted

« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2004, 16:06 »
lol yea good point, it sounds quite a big job to smooth it, although worth it at the end 8) and vix :D i prefer a curvier car over the mk 2 ;) lol

Offline Cupra Turbo

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2004, 16:10 »
i prefer a curvier car over the mk 2

Me too ... love how there wider.... smoother etc ... but hey every1 to their own...

one day when all the mk1's and mk2's are gone, you'll all adore the mk3 LOL

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Modified Golf GTI, 130Bhp(est), All Smoked Plus Quad Headl