Author Topic: Could it be a dodgy earth??  (Read 1317 times)

Offline gibson

• GTI forum regular
Could it be a dodgy earth??
« on: 29 December 2005, 22:53 »
Right please help, ive finally had chance to put The Tv's in the car today with a tuner (all sony). Everything work fine, TV quality picture is brilliant with thebooster on. However when the car is moving the picture starts to jump a lot and becomes unwatchable. I'm thinking it may be a poor earth. Ive had it earthed to the boot floor and now its earthed under the rear seat - ive taken the floor down to bare metal to try and improve it but its still happening (not as bad).

Just wondering does this sound like a poor earth connection? and where is best to earth it to? Or could it be the aerial (i think not because the pic quality is still great when moving it just jumps). Ive tried all i can think of so i hope someone can help!!!

Thanks

Offline Dom Mk3

• I live here
  • Insert wit here
Re: Could it be a dodgy earth??
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2005, 23:21 »
cable routing? try and keep the signals away from any power if you haven't already. I take it it's not when moving but when the engine is being revved?

Offline gibson

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2005, 10:12 »
Yeah i have the Power cables down one side and the aerial and RCA's down the other so they are well apart. It doesnt really happen when revving thecar, Just when its moving. I thought it might have just been that i was in a bad signal area, but it happens wherever i am! Its gotta e something ive done wrong lol

Offline vr4000d

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2005, 11:49 »
try mounting the tuner in a different place maybe its bouncing too much where it is.

just check all your connections are tight aswell

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2005, 17:09 »
it's normal. In car TV's are a waste of time. They're usually fine when you're stationary, but as soon as  you start to move they'll loose the picture. Just like when you move house you have to retune your TV. The digital ones are slightly better, but still loose the picture on the move.

there's nothing wrong with your setup. that's just life. I have heard of one very expensive TV unit which has 4 aerials I think and it ment to keep the signal even when doing 90mph.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline gibson

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2005, 10:38 »
Thanks Dom, Vr and Dizzie as always LOL.

Ill live with it - couldnt work out what i was doing wrong but if its the way it is then thats ok, Once i get the DVD HU bought and installed the TV will never be used anyway and it is fine stationary ( watched eastenders in it last night!!! )

Cheers for the info