Author Topic: Activiating android auto/app connect  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Stuartie

• Just got here
Activiating android auto/app connect
« on: 12 November 2018, 12:39 »
Hi I'm trying to activate android auto on my MK7 GTI. I got an email about car net services expired and I looked into renewing them, this costs £70? I don't mind paying this if this will activate android auto? I had everything all setup before when it was active and anytime I clicked on it, I got a message saying "Contact dealership for activation". I never bothered because I never researched into it, but since then I've been interested in it as I know a few people that have android auto and I would like it activated.

My question is, if I pay the £70 will this enable me to use android auto? If not how much is it and how do I get it activated?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Activiating android auto/app connect
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2018, 15:24 »
It's about £250 I think and VW dealer only.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2018, 17:35 »
Carnet subscription and Android Auto activation are two different things.

The former is for three years from new, the latter is permanent.

You don't need CarNet for AA....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Stuartie

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2018, 09:30 »
Carnet subscription and Android Auto activation are two different things.

The former is for three years from new, the latter is permanent.

You don't need CarNet for AA....

That makes sense now. I've figured out that for AA I need to activate at the dealer and will cost £200+ ish. Is there anywhere else I can purchase this, my deal is quite far away from me..

Also how can I make sure that it'll work with my head unit?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2018, 10:23 »
One price, main dealer only - it needs a VW generated activation code.

Will it work? If it will activate, it will work.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2018, 12:00 »
Talking of Android Auto (AA), I noticed the other day when I booted it up on my MK7.5 GTI, and went to the map screen and chose "Google maps" (as I have waze installed as well), that there was a new "setup cog" icon and under that I could select satellite view (like I used to have on my older MIB2 Discover Pro on my 2016 GTD). I used to use this a fair bit, but I of course needed to opt for the Pro Nav (at considerable expense) to get it as it wasn't available on the Discover Navigation at the time.

It's amusing that despite still charging the earth for the Pro Nav - no pun intended, on the MK7.5 (although there are obviously quite a few advantages over my standard Nav), "google earth" (or satellite view) was actually dropped as a feature on the new 9.2" Pro Nav as part of the MK7.5  refresh due to licencing issues between Google and VW. So it's amusing that it's now appeared on the standard Nav's running AA now, without having to up spec (obviously Pro Nav's running AA have this now as well I would guess).
« Last Edit: 14 November 2018, 12:02 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2018, 14:15 »
Interesting!

I'll give that a try... that never worked on my old NavPro (2014 car) despite it being one of the reasons I spec'ed bloody nav pro. (it never worked in the UK because they didn't have the data link back then...)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2018, 15:53 »
Here's a couple of shots I got of it at lunchtime :-)

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2018, 21:57 »
Like this! Works on my mk7 with standard head unit via Apple CarPlay.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership