Author Topic: electric polisher  (Read 5447 times)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
electric polisher
« on: 24 February 2008, 19:47 »
anyone recommend one -

and I am on a budget - but looks like I could be doing a car a weekend after people have seen the results of my handywork on my former PINK corsa  :cool:

thanks in advance

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: electric polisher
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2008, 19:48 »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2008, 19:56 »
 :shocked: ouch on the wallet

but thanks

- need cheaper if i can  :cry:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2008, 19:58 »
:shocked: ouch on the wallet

but thanks

- need cheaper if i can  :cry:

hmmm you won't really find any cheaper mate to be honest; the cheaper ones aren't very good.

If you're serious about getting into detailing then its worth spending the money on pukka equipment; you'll soon make your money back doing the odd car or two :afro:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2008, 20:36 »
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52

Porter cable stuff is pretty much the defacto standard when it comes to polishing (assuming you have a 110v transformer). As said above, you're gonna need to spend the money to anything reasonable, those £19.99 jobs from Maplin are terrible, lol.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2008, 20:46 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2008, 20:35 »
Megs Polisher G220

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=407

G220 is great for the price and is pretty good! it is smoother than a PC and you don't need the transformer.. it's also pretty damn hard to burn your paintwork with it... in fact you'd have to be going some to do that with the megs!

if you are going to be polishing properly then get this... cheaper 'polishers' with just spread polish about and are a false economy

Offline RiCHiE360

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2008, 00:57 »
Im gona go against the grain here an recommend the porter cable, having used the megs and porter caable i find the PC to be a much better polisher the fact u need a transformer isnt a real issue  :nerd:

Roofless VR6 FTW

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2008, 13:58 »
Chuff if you just want a polisher take a look at Clarke from machine Mart.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Cornish Pixie

• Not said much yet
  • If I'm not on line I am polishing somebody's ride
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2008, 15:53 »
anyone recommend one -

and I am on a budget - but looks like I could be doing a car a weekend after people have seen the results of my handywork on my former PINK corsa  :cool:

thanks in advance

What sort do you want? There are two basic types, random orbitals such as the Porter Cable or Megs G220 and rotary polishers which look like angle grinders or sanders.

The random orbital is pretty much fool proof and will do most jobs to a high standard, however a good rotary will complete the job faster and will be the only choice for really bad paintwork.

The rotary is an excellent piece of kit and is the choice of the pro detailer for most paintwork correction tasks - fast and powerful, however it is very easy to inflict damage on the paintwork and if really heavy handed actually burn through the paint. Novices should really try and get some tuition before using a rotary on a mates car as mistakes can be embaressing and costly :cry: or practice on some scrap panels. 

It is possible to buy a rotary for about £35 but these machines are very basic and need a fair degree of experience to use if a really good finish which is free of holograms and buffer trails is to be achieved.

If you go down the rotary route you will need one with variable speeds and a lowest speed setting of about 600 rpm, top speed is irelevant as you shouldn't ever really need more than about 1800 rpm for even the toughest job.

On both polishers pad and polish combo are as important as the actual machine.

Hope this helps

www.kcpv.co.uk
www.karlssoncollins.com

Professional Valeting And Detailing

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2008, 16:13 »